Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

1mz-fe power upgrades

Old 09-30-2008, 10:21 PM
Default 1mz-fe power upgrades

i am looking at doing quite a bit of work to my ride. and as time passes i will be asking some pretty technical questions regarding the camry 1mz-fe motor....... as i plan to put this motor into my celica............firstly....bolt on upgrades, i assume all the bisic stuff like headers, exhaust, intake, etc will boost power, just wondering for futurepower upgrades what next and where to look......cams,supercharger forged internals, head port and poilsh, ecu, blah blah blah,

also does anyone know of any outragous poer numbers that you can push these motors to..........

if anyone could help me out this would be much appreciated,

i look forward to talking to all and sharing knowledge.............

grant

Old 11-06-2008, 12:43 AM
Default RE: 1mz-fe power upgrades

well as far as i know the 1mz-fe has about 190bhp stock, which isn't too bad. with bolt on's it should gain another 10 or so. I don't know if they ever made any high performance parts for it as it wasn't very popular with tuners. however port and polishing will add some horsepower and you'll be getting better gas mileage on top of that. lighter pulleys and flywheel will also help. I helped my friend install a lightweight pulley on his chevy aveo and you could definitely notice the difference. the thing flew through first and second gear like you wouldn't believe. there's probably an aftermarket computer that you could get to release a few more bhp and tune it to work as good as it can with the other upgrades. But why the hell would you need more than like 200bhp. the celica is already much lighter than the camry, and with the same powerplant its gonna fly.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:11 AM

Why not have more than 200BHP.. 200 BHP relates to like 160 WHP.. When adding power my idea is go to the limit before the motor out powers the car. I have a buddy with a 450WHP SHO... Even with a Tourq Biasing diff and a fully modded and built suspension he roasts 1st and 2nd with street tires. I think thats too much. I've never seen a Celica with some serious suspension mods. Ive driven one of the newest Eclpise GT's and 283 BHP is right on its limits with the stock suspension. With that being said, i believe the celica with a heavely modded suspension could easily handle 250BHP..

As for power upgrades.. Any bolt on IS going to give you gains. Its different with every motor, but it helps. Some built heads would help any motor greatly. You can also have the heads decked to raise compression. Larger bore valves and a more aggressive cam. ALSO, a larger MAF, some serious tuning, under drive pullies, and larger injectors will always help any application. Now, idk how much of this is available to the 1MZ-FE. So getting to 250BHP with out some FI is going to be difficult.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:47 AM

Nesho, as far as the new eclipse goes... I totaled mine because of the lousy suspension. punch it and you are goingright hardcore. very fast but terrible suspension. why they didnt go rwd baffles me. it would of dominateddrift.itmakes thenew eclipsealmost annoying because you know you have the power yet you cant get it to the pavement. Lmao reminds me of a Viper... Anywho, as for the 1mz engine, we tinkered around with just a filter change including removing airbox and we actually lost hp. it does not respond well at all to that setup. but then again we did not use full intake system.so we ended up going with k&n filter and drilled holes (yes ghetto but works) in the bottom of filter box and saw 2hp gain.From what we have gathered there isridiculous restriction at both intake manifold and even more restriction at exhaust system. We are currently designing a new crank pulley that should be about 4 1/2 lbs lighter than stock but keep stock dimensions. should be equal to eliminating around60 lbs of weight to engine. it will be a step up in hp for sure.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:03 PM

Interesting.. idk.. im use to torque steer with my SHO and the S/C SHO i got to drive so i guess i didnt really notice it. Id be excited to see that crank pully tho.

As for our intake on teh camry we went to lows and grabbed some rubber plumbing adapters and made it out of that.. yes, not the most professional install ever, but it works. Were in the process of building a fiberglass airbox..

What all are you working on for the camry?

Old 01-21-2009, 01:21 PM

Intake manifold, crank pulley, fuel rail, headers, exhaust (maybe). Also looking at designing front bumber to accomodate intercooler for future turbo project. As long as the market stays strong we will keep building new products for the 1mz

Old 09-16-2010, 01:26 AM
Default ya i can second that...

finding parts for the 1mz-fe is long and hard.... kinda like a camshaft. anyone know where to get performance cams for the 1mz?

im kinda new on this forum and ive been using nopi performance parts to get all of the parts for my car now im looking into cams advancing and retarding is only going to get you so far but putting on new ones build for a completely diff. torque curve.... that what im looking for. i want kinda a better low end kick to it rather than a higher rpm power output.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:16 PM

Hey guys , I have custom parts available for the 1mz-fe. including custom cams. hit me up on facebook. GLP Motorsports. Just built the worlds first twin turbo and supercharged Camry Solara dubbed "triplecharged". 412whp 482tq at low boost.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 02-21-2013, 12:10 AM

Why not have more than 200BHP.. 200 BHP relates to like 160 WHP.. When adding power my idea is go to the limit before the motor out powers the car.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:50 PM

Hey I Google searched jnj performance trying to find some 1mzfe parts and found nothing? Where do I see them and where can I buy them

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1mz-fe power upgrades