Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-14/)
-   -   2.2 L cold air induction (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-14/2-2-l-cold-air-induction-1859/)

vashusan84 06-17-2007 06:34 PM

2.2 L cold air induction

Hey I am brand new to this site and I am looking to have some fun with my 94 2200 4 cyl. The first thing I would like to do it put a cold air induction system in it. I know that I can easily do a short ram off the throttle body for cheap but I would really like to get some true ram air from outside. I have some ideas using the existing air filter box ie. cuttinga hole in the wheel well and getting cold air from the stock filter or I could run a longer line to the bottom of the bumper on the driver side to get more pressure. I was wondering what people have done for this, if you have any ideas or experience in getting this problem solved I would greatly appreciate the advice.

lavalleemike 06-19-2007 06:04 AM

RE: 2.2 L cold air induction

Just be careful if you go down low to avoid water getting in. I believe AEM makes a water seperator that goes inline on your intake track. Water can do some serious damage so keep your head up.

94camguy 04-22-2008 08:55 AM

Would something like that increase or decrease gas milage? I always heard a short ram would be good, but then i read here that they arent gas efficient. (not that I can find one specifically for my 94 4cyl anywhere [:@]) I was just gonna get a spectre pipe and cone but with gas how it is, you know? So if I modify the stock cai would I get more or less gas? i already heard performance wont go up much..

toyomoho 04-22-2008 12:03 PM

These intakes are widely used and talked about on various internet group sites, etc. A Google search will turn up a lot of hits and opinions.

Guessing any gains in MPG would be marginal athough some truck users have claimed 1+ MPG improvement, others have not seen any.

CSMH 05-05-2008 07:29 AM

Hey there, the engineers get paid a lot to make those air boxes. Try to drill some small holes (15-20, 5/32" drill bit) in the front of the stock air box facing the headlight as "cold" air comes in there at speed, put in a K&N stock filter replacement and you'll get as much if you were to put in a "short ram" it just won't make as much noise or cost as much.....CSM-H

marthyj 07-30-2008 09:04 PM

Are there any good quality K&N stock filter replacement available at ebay nowadays? I would probably do this trick maybe sometime.