Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-14/)
-   -   2004 camry flex pipe (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-14/2004-camry-flex-pipe-38763/)

foxyroxy111298 05-29-2011 04:07 PM

2004 camry flex pipe

The front flex pipe is now leaking. I traced it to that. you can see a bit of smoke and definetly if you put your hand near it feel it. Everyone prob know this is an expenive repair since the converter is part with this pipe. the part is at least $300-$450.

I know the flex pipe has a designated purpose as oppose to a straight pipe (wish it were that easy) . but is there any quick fix for now anyhow that I can do to quiet it down and keep some of the fumes away,. is there any exhaust repair stuff that could be used on it? an help is appreciated thanks!

toyomoho 05-30-2011 12:21 PM

There is something called a muffler band ad that wraps around the muffler. You might be able to wrap this around the flex pipe.

Could also try aluminum tape from hardware store.

A flex pipe alone can typically be purchased aftermarket, try auto parts stores. You may have to measure the pipe diameter and length. Having the flex pipe, the leaking one can be cut out, the new one welded into place.

Or check with a few muffler shops shops the actually can repair exhaust systems (or maybe build them) to do the job.

How many miles on the car? If under 80K, the EPA typically mandated a 8 year/80K mile warranty on the converter. Since the flex pipe is welded to the converter it may be covered under the same warranty.

foxyroxy111298 05-30-2011 01:29 PM

its 2004. but id have no idea how to go about a warranty on an exhaust pipe?. Ive been trying to find a flex pipe by itself, but all i find for this is the whole converter and flex pipe piece. I thought of cutting out the flex pipe and putting in a straight pipe. but they say the flex pipe has an actual purpose with the engine vibration, etc.

I thought of muffler bandage. but i didnt know if it would handle the heat. since usually the exhaust before the converter is a lot hotter than at the end where the muffler is.. but anyway these what ive been thinking. im going wednesday to the auto store and see what they have . i just didnt know if some of that quick fix wouldnt handle the heat.

I will look into the aluminum tape.

toyomoho 05-30-2011 10:17 PM

If your cars miles is over 80K then the warranty would no longer apply. The EPA mandates the converter last something like 8yr/80K. The pipe is welded to the converter, one piece.

You want something like the item in the link below.

Amazon.com: 3.5" X 10" X 14" Stainless Steel Exhaust Flex Pipe: Automotive

Might ask at the Toyotanation website for references on where to buy a flex pipe. Replacing the flexpipe is common. The old one is cut out, the new welded or clamped in place.

foxyroxy111298 05-31-2011 09:19 AM

Yea I found some universal flex pipe. now i just need to make sure the diameter is right. Ill either clamp it in or have someone weld it in. thanks for your help

Larry H 10-16-2012 11:24 PM

2004 flex Pipe

For anyone having to replace the flex Pipe, the dealership wanted me to spend $1300 because you have to replace the whole pipe with Cat Conv, but thanks to a lead from my local mechanic- He told me Meineke Mufflers can replace just the small section and weld in a new Flex for about $200- $300. Dealerships dont care and dont want to be bothered.