Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-14/)
-   -   All new sh!t (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-14/all-new-sh-t-4460/)

94camguy 09-19-2008 01:02 AM

All new sh!t

Okay, so after getting rid of the stock cai for a nice new Spectre cone setup (pics soon) I finally replaced the cat converter, which I wanted to do when I joined the forum a year ago. I know, stop laughing at me. So upon replacing the front pipe with a new one for a wopping $106, I noticed the other half of the flange, on the muffler side, was rusted and cooked to high hell. Upon tightening the flange together, the damn thing actually split. So I could do the sensible thing and just replace the flange with the other side of the old cat, which still looks good... OR I can put that other flange onto a 3" soundresonator pipe led to a thrush or dynomax performance muffler. Does this sound like a thought or should I stick with stock? I know I wont get muc of any hp increase, but I hate goin stock.

Yes this is the part where I want your input..:)

drizzlefrizzle 09-19-2008 06:30 PM

RE: All new sh!t

big pipe, big sound...woot!

toyomoho 09-20-2008 09:47 AM

The aftermarket systems appear not to add any noticable power gains. As such your left with the sound. The Dynomax and resonator setup should be OK.

94camguy 09-21-2008 11:54 AM

Yea I know theres not much power, so I think Im gonna hold off until the spring. Just worry about it passin inspection in january, since replacing the cat somehow gave me like 3/4" space that I had to pull the pipes together which no doubt contributed to that pos flange to start fallin apart. Its louder now than it was before.

thomatt12 10-08-2008 09:26 PM

I've heard a number of positive feedbacks regaring Dynomax exhausts. According to friend, it sounds and performs good.

Octapulse 12-06-2008 08:23 PM

ORIGINAL: 94camguy

I noticed the other half of the flange, on the muffler side, was rusted and cooked to high hell. Upon tightening the flange together, the damn thing actually split.
Could I recomend a good torque wrench? :D;)

94camguy 12-08-2008 01:39 PM

Haha well it turns out rather than buying a whole new exhaust I just picked up a flange repair kit and it holds the thing down tight. With how much grief its givin me now, that camry will be lucky to see this summer in my driveway. I'll go for a 3.5 or 4th gen if I can, depending on how the new emissions system goes here in MA.

Octapulse 12-10-2008 01:22 AM

ORIGINAL: 94camguy

Haha well it turns out rather than buying a whole new exhaust I just picked up a flange repair kit and it holds the thing down tight. With how much grief its givin me now, that camry will be lucky to see this summer in my driveway. I'll go for a 3.5 or 4th gen if I can, depending on how the new emissions system goes here in MA.
At least you dont live in Cali. Haha. I think im going to go ahead and set up a nice cat-less exhaust/4-1 racing header set-up since its an easy removal and install (just not going to weld anything) and then replace it with the stock before I have it smogged, then convert it back and enjoy the power for another whole year before I have to do it again.

94camguy 12-10-2008 11:48 AM

You see, thats the way to do it! I wanna do the same thing, I just really cant afford it right now, and my camry is just fallin apart more and more every day. Thats what I told my brother in law to do but he'd rather just pay the $130 every year for his sticker.

Octapulse 12-12-2008 03:49 PM

I know, its like a 30 min swap. Well, to each his own . . .