Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-14/)
-   -   CAI from hole in wheel well? (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-14/cai-hole-wheel-well-688/)

Oxagast 07-27-2006 12:11 AM

CAI from hole in wheel well?

Hi,
I have a 1997 4cyl Camry. I built my intake out of leaf blower parts and a cone filter. For the most part, it works well, gives better throttle response and gives the engine a nice deeper sound. I'm looking for a bit more power though, noticing that my intake is still "under" the hood inside the engine compartment, thus, still sucking up all the hot air from around the motor. I have gotten it as far away inside the compartment as I can (over right next to the wheel well, up under the fuse box kinda), however, it's still inside. I cut open a hole in my wheel well so that it can breathe some cooler air, but I'm afraid that it's not sucking it up out of there, as it has much more ready access to the air inside the compartment still. Does anybody have any ideas as to how I can isolate the cone right up next to the hole in the wheel well and keep all the hot engine air away from it? Some type of insulator maybe? I would like to make it so that it only sucks air through the hole in the wheel well (make it a vaccume, sealed from the rest of the engine) so that it only gets the cool air from outside. I don't want to put it too far down, or outside the hole though, as that would leave no protection from water getting sucked up in the engine and hydrolocking it. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Marshall

v6kamree 07-27-2006 12:58 PM

RE: CAI from hole in wheel well?

all i can say is ask toysrme = master of cold airs

lavalleemike 08-05-2006 05:15 AM

Weapon R makes whats called a cold air intake box. the dont make a camry specific application but, you could probably make this wrok fo your application. Also, didnt' your stock intake run from the air box out through the bumper Thats where i ran my custom cold are through right to the spot where the stock one ended up is where my cone filter is

Oxagast 08-08-2006 08:37 AM

ORIGINAL: lavalleemike

Weapon R makes whats called a cold air intake box. the dont make a camry specific application but, you could probably make this wrok fo your application. Also, didnt' your stock intake run from the air box out through the bumper Thats where i ran my custom cold are through right to the spot where the stock one ended up is where my cone filter is

Yeah, but I never figured out where it actually brought the air in. I know it went from the air box back near the wheel well and then beside the battery under that lip, then down to some clearish-white canister. Did you leave all that stuff in the way (the canister and the airbox, etc), or did you take it all out and replace it with a pipe? If you replaced it with a pipe, could you tell me what size and kind of pipe you used, and how you got it back there? I imagine if it was done with a smooth walled pipe it would give the engine marginal performance gain, considering it wouldn't have to drag the air through all those things that would disrupt the flow, but if all that stuff is in the way, would it be beneficial just to shorten it and do what I did?

Super Kaioken 08-09-2006 10:13 PM

I've heard this CAI in wheel well before. They put it so it's covered by the wheel well plastic and around the fog light area of the bumper.

lavalleemike 08-18-2006 04:12 PM

I took everything out. i believe that the tubing was 3 1/2 the same as the intake i bought some elbows and things at an autozone and some piping and got it down into that little spot. However we just did a system in my friends camry and he came up with the pretty good idea to use a short ram intake which sits where the stock are box would be. And we cut the hole where the factory tube ran into the air box a little bigger and put the cone filter inside the factor air box to keep the heat away. so basicly hes got the short ram inside the factory box so hes drawing air from the same location as the factory system does. its also a bit quiter.