Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-14/)
-   -   I need an opinion on intake and exhaust (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-14/i-need-opinion-intake-exhaust-3678/)

Octapulse 04-28-2008 01:09 AM

I need an opinion on intake and exhaust

I have a 99 toyota camry 4 cyl. 2.2 liter engine and I want to add a short ram intake and a new exhaust.

Intake:

Injen or K&N (or AEM)?

Exhaust:

Flowmaster or Borla?

please enlighten me, thanks.

Camry05WS 04-28-2008 10:37 AM

RE: I need an opinion on intake and exhaust

Hey I have a 05 camry with an intake with a K&N filter and a borla exhaust. I would just get a replacement K&N filter of TRD filter and put that in the factory air box.
Nathan

Octapulse 04-28-2008 01:01 PM

Will just replacing the filter give my engine that sound that short ram intakes are known for? If not, and I install an injen short ram intake, would I benefit by replacing the injen filter with a K&N filter?

Camry05WS 04-28-2008 02:39 PM

If I were to start over with the camryI would have not put the cai in my car I should have just left the TRD performance filter in the factory box. The cai has good sound but it adds very little or no HP to the car. I have not used injen products on my cars berfore so I do not know about the filters that come on them. I have aways used K&N and dinan on my cars.

Octapulse 04-30-2008 02:22 AM

I dont think that the short ram intake alone will make much of a difference, but I think the combination of that and the flowmaster exhaust would because of all the air thats freely getting pushed through. What I think I will do, is install the injen intake, but replace the cone filter with a K&N so I know I will have quality piping and the best filter available (I think the K&N ram intakes go for around $300 and I can get the injen for $180)

94camguy 04-30-2008 09:11 AM

I've actually seen people even putting a K&N cone onto either a stock or cheap ebay pipe, and it still sounds a lot better. Im thinkin about gettin a Spectre intake myself, its a whole $60 for the pipe and cone. Then when I pay maybe $50 for a K&N cone, I have an extra on standby if ever needed. But yea, an intake will sound better coupled with a decent exhaust upgrade.

Camry05WS 04-30-2008 09:54 AM

From my experience with my Camry and other cars you will not be able to feel much if any difference with intake and exhaust. You would have a bigger improvement if you did a full exhaust system but you must remind yourself that you would look retarded if your Camry was screaming loud. I have an e36 also and have race headers, car delete, and borla pipes with borla muffler it is plenty loud but there is a line where it sounds good and sounds like a fart cannon. But if you were to put an intake on your car get a name brand I would not modify you factory air box and slap on a cone filter buy a product that is made for your car.

Octapulse 04-30-2008 01:08 PM

Yeah, I agree. Thats why I decided to go with the Injen intake as opposed to the $30 piece of crap I saw on ebay that probably wont fit properly anyways.

Camry05WS 04-30-2008 07:45 PM

Good call stick to what you know will work and not damage your car
good luck-

94camguy 04-30-2008 09:37 PM

Ouch.. I meant do a full exhaust upgrade, and I personally have used an ebay intake pipe and it worked extremely well with the K&N cone. I would stick with the Spectre pipe for my camry as I've seen many people with them, and I havent heard any complaints. Even the Spectre cone works pretty well.

As for the ebay part, my GMC safari (minivan) is runnin off an ebay intake, competition MAF (from ebay) a high flow cat and flowmaster muffler. Oh and a white lightnin powerchip. All off ebay. I dont think I've ever seen a van kick the sh!t out of a 98 civic VTEC and damn it was fun :D