Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-14/)
-   -   Intake/Exhaust/Headers - please help (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-14/intake-exhaust-headers-please-help-3417/)

pwnstar123 03-18-2008 09:41 PM

Intake/Exhaust/Headers - please help

I am getting a third generation Camry (1992-1996) sorry i don't know exact year. Its a 2.2L 4 banger.

I am very interested to begin modifications to my car and figured I would start here with an intake, exhaust, headers, and all that stuff. I know almost nothing about cars at the moment and am a bit lost as to what things to buy. I know Im not going to get a noticeable boost in HP with just bolt-ons, but I'm not going to race or anything so I don't really care. So heres my questions:

1. what is the difference between a cold air intake and a short ram intake? which one is recommended?
2. How would I achieve that "high performance" sound? (or at least get close) what types of exhaust systems would give me that nice sound without the irritating high pitched rice burner dirt bike sound?
3. Headers, i have no idea were to start, any suggestions?
4. Is there anything else i need to think about? loss of low end power? that type of thing

any help at all would be great

Im not a car guy so if I need to rephrase any of those questions for you, please say so.

thanks

toyomoho 03-19-2008 11:11 AM

RE: Intake/Exhaust/Headers - please help

Not up on performance parts for the Camry, Toyotanation has a forum on these items.

On this car not sure there is much of a differance between the two intakes systems, the Camry system does not preheat the intake air. Suggest visiting sites like K&N that manufacture both products.

For a better sound try a muffler change. Not on brand names but a internet search should find a host of products. There are also some posts at the bottom of this page that may help.

The issue with the 4 cylinder is the head is not designed for good air flow, it is an economy MPG engine. Thus for real HP gains you need to spend a lot of money or go to a turbo.

Doubt you would experience a loss of low end performance with just headers and an intake change. And as you state the HP increase most likely will be hard to feel.

Camry05WS 03-19-2008 08:25 PM

RE: Intake/Exhaust/Headers - please help

Hey it does not matter what you do to your camry it will not have much of a gain unless you spend a lot of money. But I would go with the short ram over the cold air intake because of the hydrolocking issue. I have the borla exhaust on my car there is a few clips on the Sight and sound section you can check it out. I would not do headers on a camry unless you do a full exhaust system. The best thing that I ever did to my camry was trd springs, performance shocks, performance brakes, and good tires. Remember it is a Camry.
Nathan