Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-14/)
-   -   K&N intake for '09 with 2.4L, anyone? (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-14/k-n-intake-09-2-4l-anyone-49912/)

M1Tommy 12-10-2014 08:22 AM

K&N intake for '09 with 2.4L, anyone?

Has this intake been hashed out here yet? It looks interesting, but I won't spend $300 for just some noise.

Link to K&N 69-8610TTK "Typhoon air intake system":
69-8610TTK - K&N Intake Kits, Performance Intake Kit

Advice, comments, opinions are appreciated.
Tommy

toyomoho 12-10-2014 10:39 AM

There has been lots of posts and opinions on air intake systems on the net. Based on what dyno charts are available, mine is the HP gains are nil for the cost. You will get the noise you refer to.

The air intake system it already maximized for the engines capabilities and not starving for air.

M1Tommy 12-10-2014 02:04 PM

A lot of matters go into a large manuf company's design and production. Often 'cost of production' overrules efficiency. Still, I wouldn't really expect huge gains.

I'm just wondering what folks here thought.
Thanks for the reply!
TOmmy

Patonium 12-10-2014 11:59 PM

I thought about getting one of those for a long time but I could never find any hard data about gains or increased mpg's. Too pricey on a stock system that has an intake scoop already.

toyomoho 12-11-2014 11:13 AM

One issue after spending a number of hours researching these systems is only finding a LOT of opinions and very, very little data.

Might consider the design of this devices and what they are supposed to improve. Then consider how a modern, well designed and built engine, and its operational systems would respond to said device.

M1Tommy 12-11-2014 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Patonium (Post 88158)
I thought about getting one of those for a long time but I could never find any hard data about gains or increased mpg's. Too pricey on a stock system that has an intake scoop already.

Have you ever seen the choices for intake on motorcycles?!? :eek::rolleyes::eek:

Of course a great many of them are for looks IMHO.

Yeah, I know about "seat of the pants" tinkering. IMO a deep rumbly sound equates to more power to many.

Tommy

M1Tommy 12-11-2014 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 88161)
One issue after spending a number of hours researching these systems is only finding a LOT of opinions and very, very little data.

Might consider the design of this devices and what they are supposed to improve. Then consider how a modern, well designed and built engine, and its operational systems would respond to said device.

Yep, data, i.e. numbers, talks. Folks will put their bikes on a dyno(mometer) and wring it out without blinking, but dyni-testing a car seems a "way-out" idea.
And yep, one can muck up the fuel air mapping without trying too hard at all. Even in the carb days, more than one head or block was blown off or out with a seat-of-the-pants home-made "Ram air intake", blower or nitrous system that was not thought out.

RE the K&N filters, I but wonder, what's the difference in the two below? THey are both listed as fits for an '09 Camry 2.4L 4-cylinder:

33-2260 - K&N Replacement Filters, Replacement Air Filter

33-2370 - K&N Replacement Filters, Replacement Air Filter

A Google search found a dyno-run for each of these on Amazon.com of all places. The dyno run is for a Corolla, and the curves for each of the 2 filters sure look the same to me.
Links, below. Scroll down about 1/3 the web site page:

Tommy

Patonium 12-11-2014 11:50 PM

I think one of those might be for hybrid?
Those little charts they show state that it is estimated and not actual too.
I think oiling a filter is kind of a pain and I wouldn't want to deal with that while replacement filters are so cheap.

toyomoho 12-12-2014 11:41 AM

Oiled foam filters used to be stock on some bikes and small engines. Still have a few small engines using this design and there is no paper filter replacement available. Can't state ever enjoyed cleaning and lubing these filters.

One issue is when to clean or change a filter. Paper filters can be inspected easier then oiled. K&N states to use their installed Filter Minder (responds to lower air pressure caused by filter plugging up). Filter minders are common industrial applications.

As such if making the change might read up on all info at the K&N site and also install their filter minder.

M1Tommy 12-13-2014 09:26 AM

I have run K&N filters on my vehicles for a couple decades now. I researched (and try to refresh myself occasionally still) their design and workings, and am satisfied that they are worth the initial outlay and maintenance.

On my plate right now is to put one on the son's '10 Corolla and my '08 Harley Davidson FLHT, although I'll admit the bazillion choices that I have for the bike are almost troublesome... just too dad-gummed many choices!

I was a maintenance planner and foreman in a large chemical plant for a few years, got to "live with" a few operating units that I (mech. design engineer) helped design prior to transferring to maintenance. We had a few oiled filters similar to K&N.

On the RAV4 (hey it's a V6 AWD"Sport":cool:), the bike and the Corolla (hey it's an "S" :rolleyes:) the bit of sound will "fit".
On the Camry XLE, I'm not so sure bit of growl-sound from the lower restriction filter would be in proper character.......... umm, yeah, who am I kidding???
They'll all likely be on order around year's end.

I'll poke around on the 'net for some while before I seriously consider that entire K&N intake setup though.

What are other forums that discuss this, also?
Tommy