Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-14/)
-   -   Muffler (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-14/muffler-2980/)

bassboobs 01-01-2008 02:28 PM

Muffler

Hay everyone, im kinda new to car's and stuff. I don't know alot about them, just that I like to go fast and like the way they sound. But anyways, I recently bought a 1991 Toyota Camry and was wanting to upgrade the exhaust sound on it. I was wanting to know if I could just add a muffler to the end of the pipe and give it that kinda ricer tuner sound.?.?.? Could I do that or would I also have to alter other things like headers and cytilac converters????

any help would be greatly
appreciated

THX,
Josh

OnE_To_HatE 01-01-2008 06:35 PM

RE: Muffler

you can just add on a muffler at the end- no need to mess with the piping/resonator/catalytic converter.

bassboobs 01-01-2008 06:48 PM

Could you help me pick one offline? I was looking at some but I really don't know what im looking for. I believe it has to have a 2.5 inlet for my car and I would like a 4" outlet... any help is ausome thx

05cam 01-01-2008 10:43 PM

You dont have to add another muffler 1st off. Maybe replace the stock one with a new ricey sounding one. But not add another to the one already there. You can usually find a cheap one online for around 100-150$ keep in mind you get what you pay for, and you can usually have a shop put it on for next to nothing. Keep in mind local state / federal laws. Some states forbid any kind of modification to the exhuast systems.

If your state isnt persay cali. There are boat loads of aftermarket cat back exhuast systems. They usually offer a much deeper crisps sound and can almost bolt inplace of the existing exhuast system. They can cost a pretty penny but it all depends on what your looking for or into. I for one like a deeper sound less ricey type. Afterall this is no honda....i mean rice rocket by anymeans

bassboobs 01-02-2008 09:20 AM

Ya, I was thinking I could just ause "shawzaw" to cut off the older muffler and replace it with anew to add the new sound..... Would that work? I have a welder so thats no problem. and I would rather do it myself so i can learn a little about it.. but would this work?

bassboobs 01-03-2008 03:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok evryone i found a pretty nice muffler and it should work.... Here is a few pics for ya guy's....
Attachment 4527
Attachment 4528
Im going to try it out and ill let you guys know how it does.;) Thx for all the help and inputs.. :)

OnE_To_HatE 01-03-2008 04:38 PM

That should work; be careful with the gas tank tho when welding. LOL

bassboobs 01-03-2008 07:09 PM

lol, ya thx for that little tip. I was hoping I wouldn't have to weld. Do you think a clamp would work or is welding on this thin a need be?

OnE_To_HatE 01-03-2008 08:22 PM

you need to weld it. Clamps wouldn't hold an exhaust for a mile. LOL

bassboobs 01-03-2008 09:18 PM

ok :( more work, but if thats what it takes....