Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-14/)
-   -   removing out catalytic converter (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-14/removing-out-catalytic-converter-1727/)

camry313 05-23-2007 05:07 AM

removing out catalytic converter

Hi ..
as i was exeploring my camry ... i found that i have 3 mufflers on the exhuast system ... end, middle & i guess a catalytic converter... so i've decided on cutting it out ... So what effect i might get on my car ???

i remeberoncei sold my 1990 Mustang to an american friend that he decided to ship it back to states ... he installed a catalytic converter & start to complain about the performane of the car ... so he did some mods. to the car for a better performance with the catalytic converter on it & shipped it to states & left Bahrian.

any adivce on this.
Thanx :)

OnE_To_HatE 05-24-2007 06:55 AM

RE: removing out catalytic converter

you don't have to cut all ov them out- just do a cat delete. Basically .. you cut out the catalytic converter and place a straight pipe to where the catalytic converter was. Reduces a whole lot ov back pressure- you don't want to remove all of them for the reason that it may actually loose more power than actually gain. I live in sunny california so i can't mess w/my cat. so- ya. its all up to you. nJOY!

camry313 05-27-2007 02:16 AM

Heya .. yup thats what i ment ... cutting out the CAT only & replace it with the same size of pipe ...
Thanx 4 the advice

trd_camry 05-27-2007 11:15 AM

oh dear lord please dont . its a 2.2 liter camry (not a5 liter v8 mustang), will it be worth the maybe 1 hp gain to annoy everyone within a 1/2 mile of you ? Now if its bad and you looking to reduce costs of buying a new cat then i understand .

camry313 05-28-2007 02:10 AM

ORIGINAL: trd_camry

oh dear lord please dont . its a 2.2 liter camry (not a5 liter v8 mustang), will it be worth the maybe 1 hp gain to annoy everyone within a 1/2 mile of you ? Now if its bad and you looking to reduce costs of buying a new cat then i understand .
he he he... ok .. i got ur point :D.. but is just by cutting out the cat the noise will increase alot ?? mmm ... then i gues i shall use a long wide pipe with a chrome through muffler which is used with the turbo engine to reduce the sound ;)

Thanx all again :)

camryfanatic 06-01-2007 11:51 PM

Have a friend who removed his catalytic converter. It backfires very little and the growl is not too loud and i didn't see any problems on some toyota performance parts without it. But it is better to keep the cat, unless she is plugged up. If so replace it.

94camguy 03-31-2008 08:23 AM

Wouldnt it fail emissions to cut out the cat? Im havin problems I think are related to the damn thing I gotta replace it. Can I replace the whole front pipe with just a straight pipe? I have the 1994 LE 2.2, with almost no power but I just want it to run right.