Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-14/)
-   -   replacing head gasket (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-14/replacing-head-gasket-28382/)

johnnyz 10-25-2010 11:34 AM

replacing head gasket

hey all, new to site! had a question since i am replacing my head gasket on my 96 camry, 5s-fe 2.2 liter engine. when i received my head back from machine shop, there was a note. this is what it said..."attention! make sure to set the cam gear tensioner on the exhaust cam during install." anyone know what that means??

toyomoho 10-25-2010 02:27 PM

The exhaust cam has a gear tension system on the drive gears. This system consists of a main gear (attached to the camshaft) and sub gear (floats). Between the gears is a tension spring, perhaps like a clock spring.

This spring provides rotational force on the gears, forcing them into constant contact with the intake cam gear. Most likely the system provides for smoother gear action, reduced back lash and quiet operation.

The main and sub gears have a hole in the side of them (main gear is a threaded hole) through which a bolt can be installed and tightened.

Prior to removing either cam from the head, a bolt is installed in these holes to prevent the two gears for shifting in alignment. If this was not done, you need to do so prior to installing the exhaust cam.

The camshaft should be held firmly in place. Insert the bolt into the hole of sub gear. Insert a screwdriver or any long rod as a lever between the camshaft and still extended bolt. Using the screwdriver apply force to rotate the sub gear CW until it aligns with the hole (bolt face) in the main gear. Then screw the bolt into the hole and snug it up.

Once both camshafts are installed, make sure the bolt is removed!!

The bolt is a standard metric size, maybe a 10mm. Find something that fits but make sure it is long enough to grip both gears without excess threads extending out the drive gear side.

The intake cam has on one gear.

johnnyz 10-25-2010 03:18 PM

would it be possible that there is not a spring? there was not one when we took it out and there is not one on it now. i dont have it in front of me, but we looked at it at my friends house last night and there was no spring that we could see. in fact, there was nothing on the exhaust cam to adjust at all.

toyomoho 10-25-2010 05:15 PM

Look at the gear(s) on the exhaust and intake camshafts and compare the design of each.

The intake cam drive gear should be a solid cast with the camshaft.

For the exhaust camshaft, the one of the gears may be cast with the camshaft. The gear next to this is free to move back and forth.

The spring is between the gears, you will not be able to see it unless you take a gear off.

There is no adjustment. Follow the procedure sent previously. This will align the gears for installation with the intake camshaft.

bekkalynnb 07-13-2014 02:27 PM

I have a 2.2L 4 cyl 5fse engine. I was paying someone to replace the headgasket, but apparently they did not know what they were doing and now I have to finish the job. He removed both camshaft from the head without setting the knockpin or the service bolt. I've got the bolt in the exhaust cam now, I think I understand that. I have installed now the intake camshaft, but how do I know if it is in the right position? An I know that there are timing marks on the rear of the gears that must line up, however the intake camshaft has now been rotated to about 10 degrees before vertical.
Do I need to rotate the lifters somehow for the exhaust cam to line up? Please help. This is my first time going this far with any engine...

toyomoho 07-13-2014 09:43 PM

See other post.