Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Snapped hose heading from air filter to cylinder head

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 08:37 PM
Default Snapped hose heading from air filter to cylinder head

I am a novice DIYer and while searching for a gase fume coming from my car I found this completely unrelated snapped pipe under the engine cover. Does any one know what it is and where I could get another? I thought it was the upper pcv hose, but I could be wrong. All help appreciated. First time using this.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:47 AM

Where it is located connecting the air filter to the cylinder head.

The torn bit.
Sorry, couldn't get the pictures uploaded in the Autozone parking lot. It is the 2.4L inline-4 DOHC engine on a 2003 Camry.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Think Toyota calls it a "ventilation hose." The hose is part of the engine crankcase ventilation system. This system draws off engine blowby (unburned gases) and routes then to the engine air intake to be drawn into the engine and burned.

In previous generation Camry, this system was called the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system. Most make/model cars have some kind of PCV system. You need to know this as many will still refer to this ventilation system as the PCV system.

A Toyota dealer would be able to obtain this hose or perhaps an auto parts store. Try NAPA.

You want the hose that goes from the engine valve cover to the engines air intake hose that is located after the air cleaner.

With the hose broken, there is an air leak at the engine AND one at the larger hose the smaller broken hose connects to. This will cause problems with the engine air fuel ratio. perhaps rough idle and the check engine light to come on.

Until you can replace the hose (easy job) suggest the following. Obtain a roll of electricians tape, duck tape, etc. Move the two broken ends of the hoses back together and apply tape around the outside circumference of the hoses to hold them together. Wrap the hoses enough times to have an air tight seal.

Think of the hose as the hose to a home vacuum cleaner. If the cleaner hose is now broken, it will draw in air at the break. Rejoining the hose and applying tape will seal it back up until a replacement hose is obtained.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:56 AM

Ok, thanks for the help.