Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   07 Camry vvt-i issues and knocking (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/07-camry-vvt-i-issues-knocking-52214/)

wileym1 04-12-2018 10:49 AM

07 Camry vvt-i issues and knocking

Hello all, Mark here. Obviously a newbie here. I went through a few threads on the site but didn't find the answer I was looking for. Guess my patience got the best of me.
Gonna try to make a long story short, if possible. LOL.
My son has a 07 Camry 2.4L 2AZ=FE engine. Recently rebuilt sons engine due to excessive oil consumption, bad rod bearing and way past warranty (129,000). Definetly made sure all timing marks, gears, and chains all lined up to TDC.
My questions are, after initial start up about 5 minutes later, knocking started to come back ever so slightly and check engine light came on. Ran my OBD link on it with codes p0011, p0012.
Camshaft A issues, over advanced timing. I did use a 10w- 30 oil for initial break in with the rings.
Will that have an effect on the OCV valve with heavier oil? replaced OCV before start up.
Could the little screen be plugged thats by the power steering pump? didn't check it yet
Does anyone know the exact ohm range that this years camshaft position sensor is suppost to put out?
Sorry but this is just a few questions I have for starters. LOL
Any suggestions or advice would greatly be appreciated.
Thank you, Mark

toyomoho 04-12-2018 11:58 AM

The issue could the VVTi system unit or lack of oil pressure to the unit.

Check/clean VVTi oil filter screen. A plugged screen can cause issues.

Thought Toyota recommended 5w-30, check manual. This should not cause undo issues by itself.

6.9-7.9 ohm for valve.

Did you have a shop manual? There is reference to the locking the VVTi gear full retarded at installation.

wileym1 04-12-2018 12:18 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I used a heavier oil for break in procedure until about 50 miles, then change to the recommended oil. Yes I found some info on ohm range for the vvt solenoid but need to know a range for camshaft position sensor? Mine checked out at 1030 ohm resistance but checked one at local autoparts store which ran 1250 or so. Not sure if it's the thicker oil or sensor is on the fritz. Don't want to throw parts at it! If you know what I mean. Lol. Local Toyota dealer wants 125$ just to hook it up to their machine. I have a manual, but let me get this straight. CPS reads cam, sends signal to ECU, ECU sends signal to vvt oil solenoid to send oil to intake cam gear at 20 to 25 psi to advance or retard timing correct??
Thanks again, Mark

wileym1 04-12-2018 12:24 PM

Sorry, also can the advanced timing cause a knock in the motor? I'd really hate to tear the motor apart again. Lol, I followed all instructions according to the Haynes manual.

toyomoho 04-13-2018 12:12 PM

950-1250 ohm for cam sensor.

The ECU picks up signals from cam/crank sensors, TPS, MAF, ECT and VSS to control VVTi oil valve.

The valve has three positions, much like a control valve for a 2-way hydraulic ram cylinder.

The valve in one direction sends oil pressure to rotate the cam pulley to retard timing.

The valve in other direction causes an opposite rotation to advance timing.

The valve in center keeps the pressure static to hold the pulley stationary at its current rotation position.

When the engine is started. Hydraulic pressure is not immediately available to the VVT-i controller. The cam gear has locks pins to prevent movement and the controller from making a knocking noise. In this position the timing is full retarded.

Is the cam gear OK and that the lock pins are preventing movement to prevent noise?

Use a section of hose as a stethoscope. Listen for the noise at the intake gear. Engine knocking would occur elsewhere.

The oil control valve receives engine oil at the same pressure as the rest of the engine.

Check the VVTi oil screen.

wileym1 04-18-2018 10:01 AM

thanks for your response. cam position sensor ohms out at 1030 cold so that's ok. checked oil screen, was a bit dirty, cleaned and replaced it. changed oil and filter gonna start it soon. I'm not sure about the intake cam gear, never messed with it. pretty much removed intake cam when engine was apart then simply replaced cam when put back together. is it possible to remove intake cam gear without taking the whole front of the motor apart again?? LOL This car is gonna be the death of me!

toyomoho 04-18-2018 10:52 AM

Did you try the stethoscope routine? This should pin point the noise location. Its possible the knock is not from the VVTi.

See private message.

wileym1 04-20-2018 06:04 PM

Trying to upload a video but it isn't working. Not really tech savvy. Lol

wileym1 04-20-2018 06:16 PM

Also, I did use my stethoscope and it sounds like the noise is coming from the top half of the motor, even listened to bottom half under the exhaust on the upper oil pan. Was trying to post a video with no luck.

toyomoho 04-21-2018 10:25 AM

You may need to post at a third party such as youtube, then link to this site.

Youtube has lots of videos on various 2AZFE noises including VVTi knock/rattle. Review video's and compare to your sound. Search google under 2AZFE video rattle.

If the VVTi, the noise would be at the intake cam gear.

Did you review the info in the PM and determine if you followed the installation procedure?