New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

1984 Toyota Camry, AT, HB, Loaded $200

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Default 1984 Toyota Camry, AT, HB, Loaded $200

Just bought my first yota, the 84 camry. Haven't put it on the road yet, but seems nice.

103k original miles, some kid down the road bought it and had a blow out. Broke all of the studs off trying to get the wheel off, and wah-lah, I offered him $200 for it so he wouldn't take it to the scrap yard. He was a little PO after I showed up with the new studs and drove it home while he was still waiting for a ride.........lol

He was just going to leave it on the side of the road.

I am slowly fine tuning it, but the front windows were off track, there was a small patch of surface rust about the size of the palm of your hand on the back near the tail light, and the AT shifter button was broken so you had to shove a screwdriver down to push the pin to move the shifter.

I just fixed all of that with stuff from the garage, now I am going over the motor and tranny.

It has ridiculous options, normal mode, economy, power, cruise control, sun roof, ice cold A/C, you name it. The interior is spotless, and I was reading a review online that said that it was getting somewhere around 35 city and 44 highway. Hope its true.

I noticed that it smells a bit of burning oil, and if you get on it (rev it) she will smoke a little bit, I assume with the low miles it must have been sitting at some point. I am going to run a can of seafoam through it, and throw some BG oil treatment in it. Hopefully it will clear up.

Any pointers or tips/tricks you guys have for the old beast will be much appreciated, totally new car to me, but I do work on cars a lot.

I am sure some of you guys have some little qwirks you have found with it.

Thanks, and hope all is well.

Attached Thumbnails 1984 Toyota Camry, AT, HB, Loaded 0-camry.jpg