Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   1996 Toyota Camry Catalytic Converter (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/1996-toyota-camry-catalytic-converter-38750/)

jayjaysag 05-27-2011 11:11 AM

1996 Toyota Camry Catalytic Converter

I just recently failed inspection and replaced my CC with a 3rd party CC.
Now the on board computer wont reset, my mechanic tels me to drive it 300 miles, I have driven 800 and it still wont reset. The DMV says the mechanic CAN reset the computer. I have reached the end of my rope on this.

toyomoho 05-27-2011 03:07 PM

Not exactly sure of your problem.

Is the check engine light on? If so, the mechanic can reset this.

What state are you in? The state picks the type of test it will do.

The cars computer runs a number of tests on the cars sensors, etc. If a problem the check engine light comes on.

The issue might be even though the check light is off, the computer may not have completed all the tests.

The smog test taps into the computer and can tell if these tests are completer. If not the smog station may fail the cars smog test.

This is where driving xxx miles. However the driving pattern needs to be specific, as the computer will only conduct the test under specific driving conditions.

If the check engine light was off during the failed smog test after the converter replacement, suggest you talk to someone at the smog station that knows what they are doing and how the tests works.

Ask this person exactly why the car failed the smog test even though the check light was off.

If the check light is on, the mechanic can reset it. The mechanic can not reset all the check tests as wrote about above, only the computer can do this. Again the fix is typically driving xxx miles.

If if the check light is off and the car is OK smog wise, sometimes sometimes 1 or more of the self check tests are never completed, ever! This is a software/hardware design issue with the car.

However this can mean a car having no smog issues that is perfectly OK can fail the overall smog test because the individual computer self tests were not complete.

In these cases the smog station should be aware that various specified makes and models of cars have this problem and knowing about will do some other type of test or knowing this is not a problem pass the car. This issue should have be codified in state emissions law as in these cars have this problem thus they can still pass the test if this or that is done.

I hope this is making sense to you.

Again if the check light was off when taking the test with the converter and failed. Find out exactly why it failed, talk to the station manager!

If the check light was on, the mechanic can reset.

Have the mechanic explain the difference between the check light being on and the computer running its own self tests, and that they may need to be completed in order to pass the smog test.

Sometimes the smog station attendants are not up to speed on these issues and the result is problems.

jayjaysag 05-27-2011 08:30 PM

This car is in NJ, no check engine light and it fails for a "not ready" condition.

Ths CC must be working, I have experienced MUCH better gas mileage than before.

I am still baffled by this that my mechanic can or cannot reset the computer.

toyomoho 05-28-2011 11:42 AM

Suggest an internet search on this problem. This being failing a smog test because the computer is in the Not Ready condition (has not completed all its self tests). This is a reasonable common problem and a common reason for smog test failure.

A Not Ready condition is different from having the check light on. The mechanic can NOT reset the Not Ready condition.

A Not Ready condition is different then a condition which has caused the check light to come on.

The computer is continually doing self tests on the various car components. If these tests are not complete, there is a Not Ready condition. This just means the tests are not complete, the car may be OK.

If these tests result in the computer finding a problem, typically after doing a retest and still finding the problem the check light will come on. The mechanic then fixes the problem and resets the computer clearing it of this problem. However the computer will still be doing self checks as it was designed to do.

Talk to the smog test station manager and ask what can be done.

It is not uncommon for some makes/models of cars to never complete all tests. This based on the cars computer system design.

The result is the car takes the smog test with a Not Ready condition and unless the smog station knows what they are doing the car fails. This make/model of car may be one that never complete the self testing checks.

There is a list of makes/models of cars where the computer is always in the Not Ready condition. The smog station should have this.

Federal law takes into account a car may be fine in terms of smog emissions but have a problem with getting into the Ready condition. The law allows a certain number of tests to be incomplete and the car still pass the test.

The smog station can do another type of test to check for emissions.

The car being in the Not ready condition has nothing to do with its emissions output or if it has a smog problem.

If you get no satisfaction from the smog station contact your states emissions control board or whoever is in charge in your state.

jayjaysag 05-28-2011 03:18 PM

I cannot find anything on the internet. I was told to take it back to the dealer. I cannot drive it like this, inspection is overdue.