Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   1997 Camry 132K Miles should I buy it (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/1997-camry-132k-miles-should-i-buy-39625/)

Magdalenha 10-27-2011 11:58 AM

1997 Camry 132K Miles should I buy it

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and I'm desperately seeking some advice. My previous 1998 Camry (that I loved) just got totaled and now I need to replace it. I found a 1997 Camry with 132,000 miles on it and its one owner, timing belt, new brakes, good tires, water pump and other stuff was recently done to it. I live in Connecticut and they are asking $5K. I just nervrous about buying this car with so many miles, I know that Toyota's can last forever but does anyone else who has a 97 Camry or comprable have any sound advice. Is this worth the investment or should I look for lower miles. I'm sorry for being a pest but I need some good sound advice from Camry experts!!!

Thanks,
Maggi

toyomoho 10-27-2011 06:31 PM

132K would be low for a car this old, about 12K per year. The 97 was a sound car.

The car may last a long time but this does not mean repairs will not be required You are correct in having concerns about repair costs if having a paid shop ($) do the work

Suggest you find a mechanic who knows about Camry of this year and can to a pre-purchase inspection. The repair areas are well known.

If you send a private message with an email address can send a list of items for the mechanic to check. With this in hand if there is a problem you can negotiate on the price or if needed look for another car.

Post back with your engine type (V6 or 4 cylinder) and transmission type (auto or manual) as this will make a difference in what to check.

Magdalenha 10-28-2011 08:34 AM

1997 Camry 132K Miles should I buy it

Hi toyomoho,

It is a 4 cylinder automatic Camry, it does have the moon roof and it was very clean and drove well. The engine looked relatively clean from what I could tell. It was one owner, I do not have any of the maintenance records but based on simple observation it was in good shape. The miles is what my concern is. I know that Toyota's can go forever, maybe I should try to have it taken to a Toyota shop and have them give it a through inspection?

Thank you so much for your help!!

toyomoho 10-28-2011 09:47 AM

The 4 cylinder is a great engine.

Having a dealer inspect the car would be a good idea as they should know the car.

Ask them to also check the condition of the trans fluid. As with changing the engine oil on a timely basis, changing the trans fluid every say 40-60000 miles will GREATLY extend its life.

One caveat is dealers (and other shops) make their money on finding repairs and fixing them. The dealer is generally also the most expensive place to have a car repaired out.

They may come back with a list of items needed repairs and press you to have the work done. Not stating this will happen but don't be surprised

Since you have not yet purchased the car if this happens pay them for the inspection and leave with the list. Review with the owner, decide if the price needs adjusting, etc. what items (if any) really need to be fixed.

I doubt if there is anything major wrong with the car and certainly not dangerous. But dealers and shops often present car owners with situations that imply if this or that is not done the car will be dangerous, etc.

More then one owner has left after spending thousands on repairs that were not required or could have waited a long time to be fixed.

Have the dealer inspect the car. Take any list of items home for review. Wait to have any repairs done to have time to think about them and make a decision in a non-stressful environment.

With proper maintenance, the car should last 250-300K miles or more. Parts will wear out and need replacing no car is 100% maintenance free.

1998 Toyota Camry LE 07-01-2014 12:46 PM

buy the car as far i concern these toyota camry's can go a long way...specially the toyota camry 1998.

1998 Toyota Camry LE 07-01-2014 12:51 PM

mine is a 1998 toyota camry and going str

ong, my milage is 134,700 .

1998 Toyota Camry LE 07-01-2014 12:53 PM

best car's ever
built.