Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   1998 Camry XLE V6 (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/1998-camry-xle-v6-1591/)

gorak 04-27-2007 10:06 PM

1998 Camry XLE V6

Hi,

I need some help in purchasing a used 1998 Camry XLE v6, with 116K mileage. I heard that timing belts need to be change once every 90K mileage, but the owner is telling that the timing belt does not require a change. Is that true? If not, when should that be changed? Also he has already done a AAA 80 point check for the car, just a few days back. Is that enough for me to proceed with buying the car, or should I do my own investigation with another mechanic? Pls give me some advise in buying this used car.

regds
gorak

toyoboy 04-28-2007 02:15 AM

RE: 1998 Camry XLE V6

recommend replacing the timing belt every 90k......

never trust a stranger...personally when it comes to buying used car it would test drive, personal inspection, ask for maintance records,then if you like the car have a reliable tech do a secondary inspection.. ask the tech to see if its been in an accident...then look up on car fax

toyoboy 04-28-2007 02:17 AM

also if you plan on doing the timing belt, you mit think about changing the crank and cam seals...water pump..drive belts...and timing belt bearings..

nodrogkam 04-28-2007 05:12 AM

haha doesnt need to be changed...haha its not a chain, its a belt.
every 90K

i sure hope someone checked the fluids for burnt smells and major discolorations...

nodrogkam 04-28-2007 05:13 AM

the major thing you need to worry about with my model camry is sludge buildup.

if oil changes were not kept up with, dont buy the car.

camry313 04-29-2007 08:12 AM

ORIGINAL: toyoboy

recommend replacing the timing belt every 90k......

never trust a stranger...personally when it comes to buying used car it would test drive, personal inspection, ask for maintance records,then if you like the car have a reliable tech do a secondary inspection.. ask the tech to see if its been in an accident...then look up on car fax
trust the experts advice dude & as mama says "don't talk to strangers" never trust a stranger ur right toyboy ... the guy is intrested to sell only ... gorak i strongly advice that u do ur own investigation on this car b4 going ahead ....

all the best :)

gorak 05-02-2007 05:38 PM

Thanks all for your splendid advise...Finally I was able to convince the seller to change the timing belts. But one more question is popping up in my mind. The timing belt was recommended to be changed at 90K mileage and now the car is at 118K mileage. Till now there has not been a problem with the car, but just because the timing belt was not changed at the recommended time, would it cause any problems to the engine in the near future, even if we change it now (or is it too late)?

nodrogkam 05-02-2007 06:04 PM

it'll be fine, but when you take it in, the mechanic will probably reccommend a new water pump, some seals etc. Just to let you know, that is normal of a 90K tuneup service.

camry313 05-03-2007 04:50 AM

ORIGINAL: nodrogkam

it'll be fine, but when you take it in, the mechanic will probably reccommend a new water pump, some seals etc. Just to let you know, that is normal of a 90K tuneup service.
well i guess that the seller did only the timing belt as he didn't spend alot on doing the 90K service ... test drive the car ... check the tiers as if they will do at least for a year ... registration & insurance ... all these things affects the price so u can negociate for a better deal.

all the best :)

gorak 06-02-2007 12:00 AM

All,

Thanks a ton for everyone who helped me by giving great suggestions. I finally completed this deal today. It wouldn't have been possible without your advise/suggestion. Thanks once again. I need your continued help/advise to keep the car moving. If you have any advise on regular maintenance, pls let me know. I'm a new car driver and don't know anything about car maintenance.

regds
gorak