Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   2000 Camry 4cylinder Code P0340 (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/2000-camry-4cylinder-code-p0340-40291/)

Yotawitz 03-06-2012 07:19 PM

2000 Camry 4cylinder Code P0340

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the Forum & would appreciate any suggestions, thoughts or ideas.

My Daughter's 2000 Camry power steering belt broke on her the other night, she drove a few miles and then the car died & wouldn't startn back up. We towed the car to the house, checked it out the next day & parts of the belt were wrapped around the crankshaft between the pulley & cover.

Clean out the belt pieces I could see, but it's still not starting and it's pulling a P0340 Cam shaft sensor code. Checked resistance on the camshaft sensor and its 1100 ohms and crankshaft sensor is 1380 ohms...both are within the Chilton manual Specs for cold sensors. Checked the sensor wiring in the engine compartment and it looks okay. Timing belt was new 14k miles ago. I cracked the top cover & the belt still looked okay and tight.

Wondering what to do next...my daughter now has my 4Runner..LOL

Thanks!

full house 03-06-2012 11:01 PM

I think you did the right way, lets wait for what happen next. 4runner is fine :)

toyomoho 03-07-2012 08:02 AM

Have you checked for ign spark?

Yotawitz 03-07-2012 05:05 PM

Thanks for the reply full house & toyomoho

Joey,

Pulled one plug and it was sparking, I should probably check the other 3. Read a similar thread that you helped someone with & it ended up being the timing belt.....I'm wondering if that's not the case here..

The engine makes a kind of whining/spinning noise & I can smell gas after trying it.

Thanks for your input!

toyomoho 03-07-2012 09:06 PM

If engine noise is different make sure the timing belt teeth have not been stripped out.

Guesstimate the distance the broken PS belt could have whipped around on the crank and check for damage in this area. Electrical, etc.

Yotawitz 03-08-2012 06:31 AM

Joey

The crankshaft position sensor cable shield was broke and I need to repair that, I didn't think that would be the main problem, do you?

I'll check the timing belt and give you an update in a few days.

Thanks again for the help

Yotawitz 03-11-2012 07:43 PM

Interesting weekend...

Took the front (side?) all apart and replace the timing belt and lower timing belt cover, also fixed the shield on the crankshaft sensor. Made a wood crankshaft pulley holder (thanks Joey), had to retap the four M6 - 10mm bolt holes in the crankshaft pulley. I can upload a photo of the holder if anyone is interested...on mine two of the holes were 2.625" apart and the other two were 2.875" apart...oh those funny Toy Manufacturers :rolleyes:

Got the crankshaft pulley and Camshaft gear at TDC, did two revolutions and everything looked okay..

Tried to start it & although it sounded better, didn't start. May still be a timing issue..may try to pull the top timing belt cover and move a notch one way or the other....Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

toyomoho 03-12-2012 10:32 AM

You aligned the hole in the cam pulley spoke with the notch on top of the cam bearing cap?

Yotawitz 03-12-2012 08:54 PM

Hey Joey,

You were right, previously I aligned it at 12 O clock with what I thought was a notch in the back plate. After I adjusted the cam to the top of the bearing cap & it fired up...probably needs some tweaking...but running!

Thanks a bunch for all your help!

full house 03-12-2012 10:07 PM

great!Good thing you figure that out... congrats!