Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   2000 camry tail light problem (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/2000-camry-tail-light-problem-39856/)

TMF 12-16-2011 11:13 AM

2000 camry tail light problem

My camry tail light quit working.
I found the wires connect to tail light assemble in trunk was cut for unknown reason and the light warning indicator is on. I reconnected all the wires, then the light warning indicator is off. But the tail light does not work. The turning lights and break lights work. Please help.

TMF

toyomoho 12-16-2011 07:59 PM

Check the tail, turn, hazard and stop fuses.

Mr jinnah 12-18-2011 12:59 AM

Do you mean that it's a combined tail/brake light? If so you'll get it in Halfords or any decent motor factors. Take the old one in with you to be sure of getting the right one.

Mr Lonny 12-26-2011 12:13 AM

Oil may be too thin for a car that age, or they just overfilled it or the breather is blocked

TMF 12-26-2011 09:04 PM

Park/neutral position switch

Thanks a lot, Joey P. I found the fuse and fixed the light problem.
But I caused another problem. I put some DW 40 to the shift gear, because it was sticky. But it caused problem that: when I step on the break, the R light is on, and the car makes significant noise. Then the light failure light is on and check engine light is on. I went Autozone to find the error code, it was found out the :" park/neutral position switch malfunction". I assume that the DW 40 caused the switch shorted or malfunctioned. Would you folks teach me how to open the cover up to reach the Park/Neutral Position switch? And would you please advise me if my assumption make sense. Thanks a lot for any help and advice. TMF

toyomoho 12-26-2011 10:48 PM

I don't think the switch is designed to be opened thus on your own.

Pick up a spray can of CRC electrical contact cleaner or similar. Check auto parts stores, Walmart, Fry's, etc. You want a cleaner only product, not cleaner and lube.

Flush out the WD-40 with the CRC. Have someone move the shifter from Park to low and back as you do this. Use the shifter lock out button override so no need to turn on the ign key.

TMF 12-27-2011 10:23 AM

Electronic cleaner

Thanks so much,Joey P! I will try it.

TMF

TMF 01-02-2012 01:55 PM

Park/neutral position switch

I brought ECC and sprayed through the gap. The R light is still on when I step on the break, the noise seems lower but it did not totally disappear. The check engine light is still on. What is your advice? More ECC wash?

Thanks in advance.

TMF

toyomoho 01-02-2012 02:31 PM

Where is the noise coming from, brakes, does this car have ABS brakes?

Given the switch is $200+ suggest if up to it, take it apart and clean it. The Toyotanation site has a great post on doing this for an earlier model Camry. Take note about using the special grease. Cleaning is worth a try for this kind of money.

Removing and cleaning the Neutral Start Switch - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Cleaning or replacing the switch may solve the problems or there could be more the one issue. However given the trouble code is for the switch you need to fix it one way or another.

TMF 01-03-2012 08:43 PM

Nutural switch mulfunction error etc

Hi Joey P,

The car has ABS system. I don't know where exactly the noise come from, as I step on the break hard, there is vibration and noise comes with it. But it step on break gently, it is OK. For both case, R light is lit is unusal.

It happend after I sprayed DW 40 on the gap of shifter.
If you need more detailed information, I can take a picture where I spary the DW 40.

Thanks so much for your help.

TMF