Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   2000 Camry - Is the Toyota dealer giving me the runaround? (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/2000-camry-toyota-dealer-giving-me-runaround-39476/)

citero 09-27-2011 07:49 PM

2000 Camry - Is the Toyota dealer giving me the runaround?

I recently had a new catalytic converter put in on my 2000 Toyota Camry. I noticed after the work was done that something looked different with the engine. It looked like a cover was missing (later learned this is called heat shield).

So I went back to the dealer and asked what they had done with my heat shield after replacing the catalytic converter.

They told me that they trashed it and that the new converter they gave me doesn't require a heat shied. They assured me that my car/engine was completely fine, but if I wanted the piece of mind, I could pay them over $100 to install a new heat shield.

Does this sound right? I'm afraid that they owe me a heat shield and they are just screwing me over. Not to mention I think I see some damage on my up radiator hose that may be a result of the heat shield being gone.

Here are some pics of the engine after they installed the catalytic converter.

2000 Toyota Camry - Imgur

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Chris

full house 09-27-2011 08:10 PM

$100 seem to be to much :)

citero 09-28-2011 07:48 AM

I guess I'm more concerned about the following:

Are they supposed to throw away my old heat shield? (Why not just install the old one)

Do catalytic converters that don't require heat shields exist? (I don't know if I believe that, but this is what they told me)

What kind of damage can occurr without the heat shield?

toyomoho 09-28-2011 04:39 PM

The converter in the photo has brackets (lugs with with bolts hole in them) to mount something suspect this is the shield.

If this new part was a genuine Toyota part suspect it is the same design (more or less) as the old part and would use a heat shield.

Not sure what if any damage would occur without the shield. Toyota would not have included a shield unless someone thought the car needed it, it did cost $$ after all.

The dealer should have installed the old one assuming it was not damaged when removed and it fits the new converter.

The bolts holding on the shield may have been stuck, thus easier to remove the complete unit. Did you get the old converter back, its worth some money for the scrap value as there are precious metals inside.

Most likely you paid a lot of money for a new Toyota brand converter, suggest politely but insistently ask them why the old part had a shield but the new one does not?

What are the mounting brackets for, etc?

If the car catches fire (not sure this will happen) will the dealer make good on the damage?

Might ask the Toyota parts person about the shield, does the new converter need one, can the old one be used with the new one, does the shield come with the new converter, how much does the shield cost. If cheap enough and the Toyota dealer refuses to help might buy one and install it yourself, easy job.

My guess is the shield was damaged, misplaced, scrapped with the converter, etc and they are too cheap to install a new one at their expense.