New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2001 Camry Power Window wont go up

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Default 2001 Camry Power Window wont go up

My front driver's side window goes down with no problem but wont go up. If I wait several minutes it will go up a little then stop, and I can repeat that process until it closes all the way. if I wait 10 min or so, it will roll up all the way with no problem.

My first thought was to just replace the motor, but the fact that the motor seems to work fine if I wait a few minutes leads me to suspect that there might be something else going on here.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:03 AM
Default Re: 2001 Camry Power Window wont go up

danbowers,
My car has similar issues as yours.
Any chance you can share how you resolved the power window problems?
Thanks a whole lot.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Have you tried helping the window move up?

The window electrical circuit has some kind of currant limiting device. Too much currant flow will disengage the power, after a time passes the circuit will reset.

Could be a bad motor drawing too much currant, problem with the window regulator sticking, sometimes the wiring can become frayed, short out, etc.

You can remove the door cover. Check for power to the motor both when running and stopped (switch still on). Keep in mind the motor is not grounded to the chassis. It has two wires, the voltage polarity in the wires is changed to rotate the motor CW or CCW.

Wires are green and red.

You can also apply power directly to the wires bypassing the switch system.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Default 2001 Camry Power Window wont go up

Thank you Joey for the response.

I could not help the window move up because it was way down inside the door panel (passengers's front window). However, after I opened the opened the door cover, I reversed the polarity of the wires and the window came up.

Next, I went back to the original polarity. Again, the windows came down but would not go up until I reversed the polarity.

Next, I tried to control the other windows in the car from the drivers switch. The front passenger's window will not go down. The back passenger's window would go down occasionally (new problem I just found out). When in fact this back window goes down, the front passengers window goes down with it. But when eventually the back window comes up ( after a while and several trials) only the back passenger's window goes up. both windows on the drivers's side go up and down without hassles.

The good news is that all my windows are up, but I am so scared getting the windows down ( especially the passenger's side).

Please how do I know if I have a bad motor drawing too much current or if the wiring has become frayed / short out?

Any additional suggestions on fixing the problem would be great.
Thanks a bunch!

Old 03-18-2011, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

Sometimes the wiring going between the drivers door and frame (wire harness in door jam) becomes damaged due to repeated flexing. It is possible the wires could have become crossed, shorted, etc.

Less often a wire gets loose from the drivers console.

Each passenger window has two power sources.

There is a wire running from the drivers switch console to each individual power window switch. This wire is powered when the ign switch is on (as what happens when you need to use the window switch).

There are also two wires running to each window from the console. These wires are powered when you move a passenger switch on the drivers console. As with the drivers door, up and down movement is controlled by the voltage polarity of these wires.

When a passenger switch is positioned for up or down window movement power from the single wire is runs through the switch to the appropriate wire to the motor (as selected by the switch position) to obtain the up or down movement.

The return power from the motor route back through the switch then through one of the two other wires going back to the drivers console.

The motors do not use the chassis for ground.

Do the individual switches work OK?

Suggest checking the door harness wiring, looking at the wiring to the drivers console for loose wires at the console connectors.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:23 AM

Welcome aboard! I am too new and finding the forum so interesting.hope you all are also enjoying here.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:49 AM
Default Camry windows

Originally Posted by danbowers
My front driver's side window goes down with no problem but wont go up. If I wait several minutes it will go up a little then stop, and I can repeat that process until it closes all the way. if I wait 10 min or so, it will roll up all the way with no problem.

My first thought was to just replace the motor, but the fact that the motor seems to work fine if I wait a few minutes leads me to suspect that there might be something else going on here.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
There is a window regulator motor that has 2 cables, like those used in bike brakes, on of these has broken on wrapped around the motor pulley,
The regulator needs replace as a unit or make your own cable to replace just the bad part.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:03 PM

Thanks for the suggestion davidmcd7, however since the window motor and cable eventually get the window up after waiting several minutes, I woud think that the cable is okay. Or, perhaps I am missing something.

My guess is that the motor must be drawing too much power for some reason and needs to be replaced.