Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   2001 Camry Timing belt broke (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/2001-camry-timing-belt-broke-39523/)

rolls83 10-06-2011 01:34 PM

2001 Camry Timing belt broke

I have a 2001 Camry 2.2 and the timing belt broke. I replaced the belt and lined up the marks on the crankshaft and camshaft according to the manual but the timing marks aren't exact on the camshaft. I moved the belt one tooth each way and it is a little off no matter which way I move it. The car cranks and runs smooth but won't idle at any of the positions. What should I check now? Why aren't the marks lining up exact?

toyomoho 10-06-2011 08:48 PM

Did you center the hole in the cam pulley spoke with the notch on top of the cam bearing and the crank at TDC for no 1 piston?

Then with belt on and idler released rotate the crank 2 times CW and recheck marks.

It is possible for the cam pulley to move one notch when releasing the idler. The result is the cam/crank relationship is off when checking. The fix is setting the cam pulley one notch one way or the other to compensate, the idler pulling out the slack resulting in a correct cam/crank pulley line up.

If you did not move the distributor the engine timing should still be OK.

It is possible if the engine timing was reset and or maybe a belt install for the engine not to idle well until a few engine restarts. But make sure the cam/crank pulley timing is spot on or this incorrect adjustment will be on top of the tendency for the engine to idle rough for a few starts before coming back to normal.

rolls83 10-06-2011 09:36 PM

Joey,
Yes i turned the crank two revolutions and re-checked. I even advance it one tooth and retarded it one tooth and it gets with in 1/8" and never gets any closer. It runs good at the closest point but it shuts down quickly after I let off the gas pedal. Is it possible a sensor is bad?

full house 10-06-2011 09:58 PM

might be the bad sensor, have you tried to check it?

toyomoho 10-07-2011 09:54 AM

Did you use the same marks to align the crank for belt install as to check them after 2 revolutions?

Compare the distance the mark is off with the pitch of the cam pulley, are they the same as in the pulley is now off one tooth.

Once the crank and cam pulley are lined up (idler pulled back), watch the cam pulley as you release the idler for movement.

Look at the sensor sto determine if the belt could have hit them. If you have the manual there is a ohm resistance check for the crank/cam sensors.

rolls83 10-07-2011 07:33 PM

After I turn it two revolutions I lined up the crank marks first and the cam marks are off less than one tooth. I will check the ohm when I get home next week. There are no check engine warnings as of yet. I will run the motor a while longer to see if that helps as well. Will let you know the outcome. Thanks folks.