New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

2002 camry won't start.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:32 PM
Default 2002 camry won't start.

my daughter's camry won't start, i replaced battery and nothing hepen under the hood, no sound, just lights on dash board and alarm system sounds. need to remove one wire from battery to shut it off. any suggestion how to shut off the security system and is it possible it blocks the engine from starting. i don't have manual for this car. is it starter? i don't want to tow it to shop if something can be don on the street. it's far from home and i need to drive to downtown each time to check this car. any halp will be appreciated.
thanks.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Default how to turn off security system on 2002 camry

hello, does anyone know how to turn off security system in 2002 camry, or which fuse needs to be removed to turn it off? i feel that it causes me problem to start the car. it doesnt turn off from keyless remote, it used to turned off by keyless remore but now doesn't. i recharged the battery and planning to go and put it on the car and need to know how to disable the security system (i don't have manual for this car). someone told me to knock on the starter while turn the key. i want to try it, but alarm is sounding when connect the battery. any suggestion will be appreciated.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

You might have an issue with the starter system.

The Toyota brand immobilizer security system would allow the engine to crank over but not start. This system would have a red blinking light on the dash.

If the engine is not turning over the problem is else where or perhaps the car has an aftermarket alarm.

Of if a Toyota system the alarm is sounding but a problem with the starting system is not allowing the engine to turn over. Only to not start due to the alarm being set.

For aftermarket systems there is typically a switch or button under the dash to reset the system.

Lock all the doors then open the drivers door with the key.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Default how to replace starter

hi, is it possible to replace starter on camry 2002 yourself and where's it located on top or under the engine? do i need to tow the car to shop to replace starter if it's bad?
thanks

Old 10-25-2011, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Is possible to replace the starter yourself.

What engine model?

Might start by checking the battery terminal connections at the battery, battery terminal connections to the cables, the battery cables themselves and the starter solenoid. The solenoid is bolted to the starter motor.

If doing the work yourself suggest going to a library and finding service info on this car model and engine type or buy a Haynes service manual for $20.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:41 PM

hi, thanks for reply, the engine is 4 cyl XLE model. will try to locate the starter tomorrow, if not then will call tow track. it's original alarm system there, need to disable it first. will try your advise with the key.
thanks