Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   2003 Camry XLE rear brake noise (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/2003-camry-xle-rear-brake-noise-44536/)

Multicamryman03 02-04-2013 04:43 PM

2003 Camry XLE rear brake noise

Recently changed the rear pads and rotors on 03 Camry. Several days later noticed a slight thumping noise (like a flat tire) on the driver's side rear. Noise got progressively worse until it was a knocking sound. At home, stood outside and had wife drive past me. Sounds like a spring tensioning and releasing causing this knocking sound. Checked the emergency brake assembly, under the rotor hub, and all looked fine. Adjusted the emergency brakes and hoped this fixed the problem, but the noise came back. Couple of notables: 1. Starts making noise if you drive the car for a length of time longer than a run to the corner store. 2. Aftermarket rotor. 3. EB assembly rotates very slightly like a wiper blade pivoting at the top. Any suggestions?

toyomoho 02-04-2013 08:50 PM

Check tire for rocks or other debris hitting the ground on every tire revolution.

Did you change or remove/replace the shoes?

Did you check the caliper slider pins that allow it to float in and out?

Multicamryman03 02-05-2013 08:16 AM

For sure it is not a rock or anything. It is definitely a "spring" sound. Yes, I replaced the pads and rotors - and checked to see if the sliders were OK. In fact, I lubricated the sliders on the problem side. I am just wondering if the hub of the rotor is not machined correctly (aftermarket), perhaps too small and as the rotor assembly heats up it causes the hub to bind with the parking brake pads. Thanks for the reply.

toyomoho 02-05-2013 08:56 AM

Did you replace the brake shoes for the E-brake?

And readjust the shoe clearance? Turn adjuster until shoes lock drum then back off 8 notches.

And apply high temp grease to the adjuster, point where shoe contracts backing plate,

Hub diameter is 6.69 inches.

Multicamryman03 02-08-2013 04:47 PM

No, I didn't replace the E brake shoes because initially they weren't the problem. I did adjust the shoe clearance on the existing E brake shoes to compensate for the hub diameter - if the hub was mis-machined. I will check hub diameter - thanks for the measurement. I suppose that my next move is to replace the E brake pads and springs if the hub diameter is OK. Thanks for your input - I really appreciate it.

toyomoho 02-09-2013 11:47 AM

If you replace the shoes compare old brake shoe leading and trailing lengths. Sometimes one shoe is longer then the other. Also compare old shoes lengths with new shoes.

On old shoes look at the front edge for excessive contact with the drum. The shoes may be shifting as a unit (rotating as you described in the first post) and an edge catching on the drum. This could cause binding and release of the E-brake system, a spring noise as the brakes bind up and then a thump as the brakes release.

Multicamryman03 03-08-2013 02:03 PM

Joey - you're the best. Thanks.