Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   2003 LE owner w/ 99 problems (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/2003-le-owner-w-99-problems-40374/)

Ithacamry 03-20-2012 03:01 PM

2003 LE owner w/ 99 problems

...and a female companion of ill repute is not among them.

We bought this car new when I was in highschool and 10 yrs later I, the youngest am still driving it. I like it, its space... it deserves suspension, reupholstered interior and fresh paint, but thats not important now. Right now I need serious help.

Unfortunately we've been ripped off too many times by the big auto dealer (Maguire) for me to be okay with them even changing the washer fluid.

Today my transmission just took a sh*t, and not a year after the same big dealer shouldhave gone through the trans fluid and all other systems close to failing. I couldn't tell you if they or anyone else ever looked at the trans fluid after 108k miles, was never on any of the work receipts I remember...

SO first and foremost I need help and suggestions on sourcing another trans, maybe installing it myself and so on. I don't have the vin handy but I remember it is a Japanese made 2.4l 2003 LE.

I kinda really would like to swap in a manual in place of the automatic simply to avoid the trans fluid issues or extra cost of an automatic...if an manual truly is cheaper. I know that will require the manual pedal assembly but i don't know what else...not an ecu I hope.

Anyway if theres someone who knows where i should look first for a cheap automatic or manual and any threads i should checkout that'd be great.

Glad to be here I also own a 93 Eclipse that im not driving now cuz guess what the trans took a sh*t and thats being taken care of by a bum mechanic. THAT was because of 3 owners beating on it resulting in disintegrated trans mounts with 23psi of boost. Anyway...

toyomoho 03-20-2012 11:05 PM

What happened to the current trans, failure wise?

If installing a stick shift best to find a complete donor car to swap parts from. The computer needs to be changed or perhaps solenoid simulators can can be used to replace the auto trans solenoids otherwise the computer will respond as if they have failed.

The trans model should be on a sticker on the side of the door which may be a U241E.

As to finding a trans, for used trans most people shop at auto junk yards, Craigslist may have individuals parting out totaled cars at reasonable prices, Ebay has rebuilt units along with various sites on the internet.

The Toyotanation site may have opinions on trans rebuilders.

The cheapest route is a used trans, then a rebuilt. You can always rebuild your own as kits are available at very reasonable prices but this takes some skill. And if more skilled it may be just a clutch pack or something else needs replacing.

Ithacamry 03-21-2012 10:08 AM

Yeah I honestly do think its just the clutch pack that went.

I was accelerating through a light and then it just sounded like gravel in a coffee can and none of the drive gears worked.

I located a salvage place a couple hours away from me that have a few automatics for $350 so I will probably just go with that route.

If I knew for sure it was just the clutch pack, and hopefully I will today, I'd just have that replaced, don't know if that would be more expensive or what.

Thanks for the trans number ill be sure to double check that.