Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   2007 Camry Low Beams Dim - High's are fine.. (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/2007-camry-low-beams-dim-highs-fine-52665/)

rlkorb 01-23-2019 09:41 AM

2007 Camry Low Beams Dim - High's are fine..

Greetings - I have a 2007 Camry with really dim low beams. I polished the front lens assembly using the Maguires polishing kit. That worked great to clear the front lens assembly. The high beams work great, really bright - no issues, but the low beams are still low - definitely dimmer than other cars passing me on a dark highway. This caused a real problem yesterday as I was coming down a dark hill at night and could not see a large pothole which I hit square on. It's a real safety issue. My mechanic had replaced one of the low beam bulbs which was dead (before I hit the pothole) but the output of light is still the same as the other side - dim compared to almost every car I see on the road. It is only the low beams that are too dim. Looking through the front lens there appears to be a frosted lens INSIDE the main assembly but only on the low beams. On the high beams I can see the bulb elements directly but not on the lows. I'm thinking the frosted inside lens could be the problem but I'm not sure what if anything can be done about it. The output from both low beams are identical even though one of them is new. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

toyomoho 01-23-2019 11:11 AM

The car is known for dim lights.

Check that the lights have the correct voltage.

Is the "frost" built into the lens?

rlkorb 01-24-2019 10:28 AM

Thanks for the reply Joey - and sorry about the cross posting.. I thought its own topic might be better after the first one...
I will try to check the voltage. I don't know if the same circuit powers both low beams but they are both low - will check voltage on one of them.
If by lens you mean the outer lens assembly - I think I polished that pretty well and it seems quite clear now. But comparing the high beams bulbs to the low beam - You can see the actual bulb of the high beam - It's small and very bright and reflects of the back mirrored part of the lens assembly (Is that the "projector"?) But the low beam is different - from the outside I can't see a bulb at all - just a larger frosted dome kind of like a frosted incandescent bulb you would have in your home. I'm thinking the frosted covering is whats killing the light. For what its worth after they've been on for a while I can definitely feel the heat of the light on the outer lens (the one I polished). If it is the frosting ;) that is dimming the light my question becomes Is there a way to remove it and have the bulb be exposed like the high beams? and would that work? or would I get some weird spread of light that isn't even any more? I'll get back to you with the voltage...

rlkorb 02-09-2019 05:11 PM

new bulbs didn't help

Wanted to follow up a bit. - First I checked the voltage at the bulb and it is 12.32 so that seems OK. So I ordered LED lights from Amazon - SEALIGHT S1 Series 12x CSP - I guess Chinese aftermarket - 6000 Lumens. I thought they would be much brighter than the originals. Installing them was easy - The assembly fit well into the original sockets. I brought the car into a darkened garage with one new low beam and the old low beam for comparison. The color is different (I prefer the halogen light color) but the brightness didn't change much. I was concerned about blinding oncoming drivers but now I wish I bought the super bright 12,000 lumen bulbs. Anyway I'm convinced that the problem is inside the lens assembly - Specifically the lens directly in front of the bulb is a frosted lens of some sort. The bulb is very small and bright but this frosted glass or plastic is dimming the light a lot. The high beams don't have that and they work fine - The high beam has a concave mirrored surface behind the bulb which reflects the light forward & the bulb is clearly visible from the front. I wish Toyota the same for the low beams. So my question is this: Has anyone tried to somehow clean or remove that frosted lens or modify the assembly in some way to improve the low beam light? If there was a way of exposing the bulb more directly maybe it would be brighter..

toyomoho 02-10-2019 10:05 AM

It can be done.

Search Toyotanation.com.

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...ken-apart.html

The last posts of the thread above tell how to take the assy apart.