New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

2009 Camry No Compression

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 04:29 PM
Default 2009 Camry No Compression

I have a 2009 Camry with about 80,000 miles. I've always did all maintenance, oil changes on time, fluid checks regularly, repairs when needed, etc... There has been no signs of any problems.

Today my family and I get ready to leave for my wifes birthday dinner. It is my wifes birthday today. I turned the key and it turned over normal until at the point that it starts. The starter started turning that fast kinda high pitched sound one makes when there is no resistance from the engine turning over.

I looked under the hood while my wife turned the key. Belts were turning. I took off the oil fill cap to see if the camshaft was turning. It was. I then checked to see if I could turn the engine by hand by turning the belt. I could. I have not checked anything else since it is near freezing outside.

If the timing belt was broken I don't think the valves would be moving from the starter turning. Is there a set pin that could have sheered that connects the crank or cam gears to the crank and cam? If so, the valves would still move just at a slower pace as the gear would be slipping while the cam or crank is turning. I've encountered that before on a Chrysler. I have not did a compression test yet.

Has anyone encounter this before on a 4 cylinder Camry?

Old 01-17-2016, 05:05 PM

the engine in that should be a 2AZ-FE I4 possibly VVTi

at near freezing conditions ....there are other possible causes to a no start

its a timing chain ..a very reliable system if the valve train was moving .. the chain is intact

how to check compression on this engine

9. INSPECT COMPRESSION
(a) Warm up and stop engine.
(b) Disconnect the injector connectors.
(c) Remove ignition coils.
(d) Remove spark plugs.
(e) Inspect cylinder compression pressure.
(1) Insert a compression gauge into the spark plug hole.
(2) Fully open the throttle.
(3) While cranking the engine, measure the compression pressure.

should be

Compression pressure:
1.360 MPa (13.9 kgf/cm2, 198 psi)
Minimum pressure:
0.98 MPa (10 kgf/cm2, 142 psi)
Difference between each cylinder:
100 kPa (1.0 kgf/cm2, 14 psi)

NOTICE:
Always use a fully charged battery to obtain engine
speed of 250 rpm or more.
Check other cylinder’s compression pressure in the
same way.
This measurement must be done in as short a time as
possible.

(4) If the cylinder compression is low, pour a small
amount of engine oil into the cylinder through the
spark plug hole and inspect again.
HINT:
If adding oil increases the compression, it is likely that the
piston rings and/or cylinder bore are worn or damaged.
If pressure stays low, a valve may be sticking or seating
improperly, or there may be leakage past the gas

Last edited by dirty hands; 01-17-2016 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:07 PM

If it did that it would still have compression. It would just be out of time. Am I right with that?

Old 01-17-2016, 06:12 PM

it wont hurt to take off the top plastic cover and check the timing marks

turn engine clock wise

if you have compression.... and timing marks line up

the no start will be no spark or fuel delivery to the cylinders .

Attached Thumbnails 2009 Camry No Compression-engine-timing-chain-marks-pwzgvgd.png  

Last edited by dirty hands; 01-17-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:23 PM

It won't hurt at all to take the cover off to check the timing belt. I had planned to do that. I can tell you with certainty it has no compression. I know the sound of a starter rotating a motor without compression. Also I shouldn't have been able to rotate the motor by pulling on the belt with 1 hand. I am sure there is no compression. There has been no warning to a problem either. I've worked on many older cars. I've never did anything major to a car this new though.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:23 PM

And thank you for your responses and the diagram. I have a feeling that will come in handy.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:49 PM

no worries
holla if you need more engine information

Old 01-18-2016, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

As stated the engine has a timing chain not belt. You can take the valve cover off to view the chain.

The engine is stated to be interference. Meaning if the chain breaks and the valves are in a certain position, the pistons can hit them. Suggest not to crank the engine over using the starter until you know for sure what the problem is.

A broken chain is rare, if broken check for the cause.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:45 AM

I intend on taking the valve cover off at 1st chance this evening or tomorrow. It is the VVTi engine. After more reading forums I think it may be one of the chain tensioners. If the chain was broken, the cam would not turn with the starter. Normally anyway. I don't know about that engine design. I can make this repair myself. I've did timing chain repairs on many older vehicles. I stay away from newer vehicles though. I don't have all the computer diagnostics for them.
Does that sound reasonable that it is a tensioner problem since the cam is still turning?

Old 01-18-2016, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Typically if the tensioner system has a problem, which does happen. The slack in the chain allows it to hit the cover, etc. resulting in a ratting noise that you can clearly hear.

Unless some kind of catastrophic failure of the tensioner system, there should have been some advanced notice as in the rattling noise.

The VVTi device can make a rattling noise if problems but this is a different problem from the tensioner issue. As far is I know it is not linked to breaking chains or having it disengage from the sprockets but?

Your thinking is correct. A broken chain or belt will result in a higher cranking RPM do to lack of compression and you can hear this.

Chains break but it is rare and more so at only 80K miles.

Please post back with your findings.

Quick Reply: 2009 Camry No Compression