New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

2010 Camry Pow Steer tensioner change

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 03:24 PM
Question 2010 Camry Pow Steer tensioner change

Hello all, I have a 2010 Camry SE with the 2.5 ltr. I had it in for a oil change at Toyota and it's been suggested I change the Power Steering belt tensioner. The pulley is loose. I did notice a bit of a whine under the hood recently. I changed the belt 10 months ago. The part is 166010V010. Toyota wants $325 parts and labor. The part is about $100.
Has anyone changed this part before? It looks pretty cut and dry. Pull the belt. Pull 3 mounting bolts. Installed the part and re-install the belt. Just want to make sure there will be no unexpected steps. Any input is appreciated

Old 01-11-2016, 05:52 PM

that is a one belt does all serp belt

and they sell the tensior assembly as a one piece about US $100 is correct

this is the part you require Belt Tensioner Assembly DAYCO 89659 fits 10-11 Toyota Camry 2.5L-L4

Belt Tensioner Assembly Dayco 89659 Fits 10 11 Toyota Camry 2 5L L4 | eBay

there is a bit involved but DIY do--able

take pictures or draw how this serp belt runs over all the pullys first ..... and note smooth or grooved
drop off the serp belt --- fit the new part ----- re fit the serp belt

borrowed from the internet
author JustAnotherAsian and Metallidad

step 2 - taking out the old serpentine belt
first off, take a good look at the belt and memorize the belt routing and how all the smooth pulleys are in contact with the smooth side of the belt, and all the ribbed pulleys are in contact with the ribbed side of the belt. there are two ways to take off the belt; you can either loosen the tensioner and simply slip off the belt off the alternator pulley (the most accesible pulley imo), or you can loosen the tensioner and just cut the belt, and take the risk of the belt slapping you in the face pretty hard due cuz you wrongfully thought you gave all the slack it could . use the 19mm socket wrench find the bolt for tension release ... pull it clockwise towards the front of the car. this requires a bit of effort- it may seem like it's stuck, but the hydraulic tensioner is really just that hard to budge *this is where the long wrench is desired*. you'll be able to see the belt give slack when you give it enough leverege- that's when you simply yank off the belt off the alternator pulley or whatever pulley you want. pretty straightforward.
update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallidad
I used an 18" breaker bar on the tensioner. I think what you have to remember is that the tensioner is hydraulic, not a spring. It doesn't move very fast since you are working against hydraulic pressure. Slow steady pressure will be enough. At least for me.
^good note on the tensioner and what to expect.

Attached Thumbnails 2010 Camry Pow Steer tensioner change-serpentinebelt.jpg   2010 Camry Pow Steer tensioner change-2010-tensioner.jpg  

Last edited by dirty hands; 01-11-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:54 PM

It can be replaced DIY as long as you have the proper knowledge and tools for the job. The illustration is already provided by dirty hands.