Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   2011 Camry missing oil filter (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/2011-camry-missing-oil-filter-39865/)

mtstewy 12-18-2011 11:57 AM

2011 Camry missing oil filter

We purchased a 2011 Toyota Camry about 16 months ago. We took the car in yesterday to have the 10000 mile service completed which is oil change, tire rotation and the typical servcie work. The tech that was changing the oil walked in and showed the manager the oil filter cap and said to him this was all there was in there, meaning there was no filter from the day we bought it with around 200 miles on it until now with 10000 miles. My question is what will this do to the engine and especially during the breakin period. I'm worried about metal fragments in the oil and not getting filtered out. The manager and tech were shocked. They had to rob another filter from another car on the lot. I work on cars and not having a filter I am concerned what may have happened to the engine. Am I over reacting?

toyomoho 12-18-2011 03:51 PM

A few questions:

The oil had never been changed by anyone else prior to this change?

The tech actually took the empty canister to the manager?

Why didn't the dealer have new filters on hand and needed to take one from another car?

Was the car new, where did the 200 miles come from? Was the car imported from another dealer who might have worked on the car?

Did you buy the car from the dealer that did the oil change?

If the engine never had a filter since new or close to it then your concerns are valid.

The issue becomes what to be done about it.

What do you want to make the situation right?

Any damage from the lack of filter is already done and would most likely show up as shorter engine life.

One suggestion is to ask for a free extended warranty.

The odds of Toyota putting in a new engine are nil.

Keep in mind the dealer and Toyota can do just about anything they want. From nothing to a new engine. Thus if the dealer or Toyota corp state their hands are tied this is BS. But don't expect a new engine.

You might post to the Toyotanation website having many more members and opinions.

Suggest getting a lot of input before approaching the dealer/Toyota Corp with your concerns about making this situation right.

As always be polite but persistent.

mtstewy 12-19-2011 09:07 PM

Answering your questions; 1. The oil had never been changed while we owned the car. We purchased it new off the lot. 2. Yes the tech brought the empty canister to the manager in the waiting area. There were several other people sitting there and witnessed this. 3. I assume they had filters they just didn't have the internal portion of the filter that as I understand it, holds the internal filter assembly together and they did not have any in stock. I am still researching to find a picture or diagram of how this filter is configured. 4. The car was new and I mistakenly said 200 miles. It actually had around 50 miles on it when we purchased it. As far as I know the car was shipped directly to this lot and there was never any transfer from ay other dealer or lot. 5. Yes we did buy the car from the dealer who did the oil change. 6. They asked me what I was wanting to have done about the situation and I asked the manager what they planned to do. He said the engine has a 60K mile warranty and that maybe they could do an extension of the warranty. I told him I wasn't too sure if this would work and that since the car only has 10k miles on it that maybe a trade for another 2011 Camry was in order. I purchased a car that came with a vital part missing with a potential of damaging the engine. The manager is going to contact me tomorrow. I have been and will continue to be polite but persistent. I purchased a new car and want to keep it that way. Thanks for your response.

toyomoho 12-20-2011 04:43 AM

You don't seem to be getting much help from the TN site.

I will ask for comments at a few other sites.

Hear what the manager has to say but keep your options open.