Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   92 Camry LE...Is it time to let go? (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/92-camry-le-time-let-go-364/)

veedar 03-18-2006 11:28 PM

92 Camry LE...Is it time to let go?

Hey guys,
Here's my story. I bought my Camry new in 1992 and it's treated me very well since (even though I don't maintain it so well). But now it's time to decide if I should continue to invest in it. I've had many parts replaced the last one being the exhaust system. Right now i get a really loud bang from the right rear tire well area after going over a bump in the road. But this only happens on some days which is weird.

In general though it rides very rough now and I feel every bump in the road so I need to decide if I should drive it into the ground or invest in some suspension work. Plus maybe get it detailed, new tires, fix the broken passenger power window, fix the door locks (both sides will not open with the key), replace the greyed out head light lenses, fix power antenna (now stuck in upright position). I'm not mechanical so I cant do much myself.

I love my Camry. I have 182,000 miles on it and never had a collision so I feel very safe driving it. I could afford a new car but I'm frugal by nature. I'm conflicted and unsure what to do. Perhaps a kind soul here can offer me some advice

Oh and I've never had the spark plugs replaced. I'm afraid to touch them now after so long. Should that be a worry of mine?
And finally I live in the Boston area so my Camry has been through a lot of winters if that matters. Anyway I see no rust problems and the paint is in good shape.

Regards,
Veedar

OnE_To_HatE 03-27-2006 05:29 AM

RE: 92 Camry LE...Is it time to let go?

What do you think?.. LOL.. J.K!.. well in my in opinion.. invest in it because if you replace it, i know ur gonna get a honda accord and that's what we're all here for.. to limit the sales of accords right?..LOL.. j.k. part 2!!

I'd personally, KEEP THE CAR and INVEST in it.. because yes, it's old and yes it's got problems with it. But yeah, stay faithful in what you like and it'll give back to you. I mean, i'm not telling you that it's gonna be a $300 repair job.. hell.. if anything, it's gonna run you about 2K to get that car back up to top notch shape but if you keep on treating it the way you have, it's gonna stick around for a long.. long... time... believe it or not, I've had another 1999 camry before this one and it's had 137,xxx+ miles on it. Hauled ass like there's no tommorow. I see that car once in a while, and it's running like a pro. Not a champ, but a pro. Just good enough to keep the owner holdin' on.

green giant 03-28-2006 03:26 PM

RE: 92 Camry LE...Is it time to let go?

I would say to keep your car. I also assume that your car is PAID FOR. Car notes every month suck. I say just maintain the paid for car that you love. My wifes car is almost paid off and I tell you that even though it will have 100,000 miles on it before it is paid for that it will surely drive alot better once the $500/month note is gone. Just my opinion though...

veedar 09-01-2010 10:22 PM

It's funny when you do a google search and happen across one of your old posts.

So after finding this post again I thought I would give an update. Yes I still have my Camry I have not fixed most of the problems detailed in my original post except for installing new struts. I'm still trying to run it into the ground.

The big expenses recently have been timing belt and wiper blade motor replacements.

The newest issue and the reason I was google searching is because the clear coat paint is peeling off the roof. So I see there is no easy fix for that. A paint job is needed. It doesn't look so good from the outside but I get compliments from passengers on how it rides.

I'm up to 197000 miles and still 100% accident free. My goal now is to make it to 200000 which will probably take a year or so for me.

I'll try and report back in a few years!