Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   96 Toyota Camry V6 XLE issues (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/96-toyota-camry-v6-xle-issues-39593/)

Christine70 10-21-2011 12:00 PM

96 Toyota Camry V6 XLE issues

Trying to decide if I should try to fix this problem myself or just deal with this like I've been doing.

This all started about 5 years ago when driver's side door handle broke off. Husband purchased new handle to replace old broke handle. However, he never completely put the door panel back on correctly partly exposing the inside of the door. Although I had a new handle, essentially it was rendered useless because the mechanism that caused the door handle to pull the latch would pop out. I rigged it with a garbage bag tie to keep it in it's place. I figured that when he got the time he would place the panel back on, it hasn't happened yet.

So then about a year ago my driver's side window stopped working. I'm thinking something might have fallen in the exposed wiring or ???? not sure. We purchased a master switch, replaced the old but it still not working. The windows passenger, and back windows still work with their respective switches. The master switch will still lock the doors but nothing else, so I know it is getting some power.

With the course of this, my clock and radio have stopped working. Not sure what is going on there, but I'm not a mechanic but I'm also not afraid of tackling a repair. Anyone???!!!!???

toyomoho 10-21-2011 02:36 PM

Does the drivers switch work for any of the passenger windows?

Do any of the passenger window switches work?

Does the car have a remote door lock control and or a remote alarm system (Key FOB)?

The door lock power source does power the windows.

Check the following fuses. Note: The car may not have all of them but will have some on the list. Cigarette (CIG), Cigarette/Radio (CIG/RADIO), Radio No 1 (RAD-NO 1) and No 2, PANEL and DOME fuses.

Some of these fuses will be in an engine compartment fuse box, others in a fuse panel behind the drivers side ash tray mounted on the far left of the dash. Open the tray lid, you will see them behind it. Remove the ash tray door and frame to access them.

Christine70 10-21-2011 03:07 PM

Driver switch does not operate any of the windows. All of the passenger windows work with their switches. The master switch we bought still can operate the door locks but doesn't do anything for any of the windows.

Yes, the car has the factory alarm which at times does cause problems. I have asked hubby to disconnect, because when it activates it disables the ignition (We have NO remotes) So it's a pain in the butt. I have been reading on that subject too. You can either luck out and have it connected under the seat or under a panel in the dash. I found a black box under the seat. I don't know if that was to the alarm but I don't think it is. It looks more like a stereo/phone component, but I did unplug the 'phone jack' looking like thing and unscrewed what looked like a coaxial cord.

Let me check the driver side fuses. I do have that driver side fuse panel exposed. Also there was 2 wires that looked like it was rigged to it by someone other than manufacturer but that's something else.

And by the way, thanks for responding!! :)

Christine70 10-21-2011 05:26 PM

Okay checked the interior fuses everything lit-up and is working. Now the ones under the hood, some of them did and some didn't. However, if I understand the case figure some are there as spares. Then there was some really big fuses that I wasn't sure how to test.

toyomoho 10-21-2011 06:27 PM

Chances are the box under the seat is the amplifier for the radio (coax cable). If unplugged the radio will not work.

The passenger windows receive power from the same source as the drivers console.

A wire would run to the drivers console. Other wire(s) split off from a junction box prior to the door to go to the passenger window switches. Typically these are purple wires.

Make sure the drivers console has the power wire connected and it the wire has 12V when it should (ign switch on). It happens wires going between the door and chassis break do to flexing from door usage.

If the dome light works the DOME fuse is OK.

If the cigarette lighter works the CIG/RADIO fuse is OK.

If the car runs and the heater blower works no need to check the larger fuses. All the fuses noted are the small kind.

Do the taillights work?

Christine70 10-21-2011 08:27 PM

Hmmmm..... well I'll plug the wires under the seat back in but the radio worked for a while after I unplugged it.

I'll remove the door panel tomorrow and check those purple wires.

The tail lights do work but the light sensor on the dash panel does light up occasionally for some unknown reason.

toyomoho 10-21-2011 10:24 PM

Determine if the item under the seat is the power seat motor. Check under the passengers set for the amp.

Sometimes an aging tail light bulb can draw more current and set off the sensor. Also check the sockets and bulbs for corrosion.