New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Back Bumper Cover Replacement - 2010 Toyota Camry, 4 Cylinder - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 11:37 AM
Default Back Bumper Cover Replacement - 2010 Toyota Camry, 4 Cylinder - advice needed

Hi there, 2010 Camry SE, 4-cylinder owner here.

I'm a dummy and backed into the other car in my driveway. I grazed the other car with my back left bumper on it's front ride side, right around the front of its wheel well. When I stopped, the side of my bumper must have been past the front of the wheel well on the other vehicle. I panicked and pulled back forward without stopping to figure things out, and I heard a rip, and then dragging as the bumper was torn off on the left side and back side of my car. I assume this happened because the other car's wheel well hooked and held the corner of my bumper. My bumper remained attached on the right side somehow.

Here's the album of the damage to my bumper: Effed up my bumper - Album on Imgur with captions on each picture.

I'm guessing I'll need to replace the bumper cover completely, as I see warped plastic on it. I think I will also need to do some work on the one mount-point on the back left side - the yellow plastic that holds the screw is broken, and it even warped the bordering metal a bit (although that can probably be tapped back into place with a hammer.)

General Questions:

1) Based on what I've explained, and the pictures, am I right? Will I need a bumper replacement?

2) From what you can see, will I need any additional work done?

3) How much would you guess this would cost if I take it to a professional?

4) Should I take it directly to the Toyota dealer, or is a local mechanic a better bet? My dad has a decent relationship with a mechanic in town who he's trusted for years and years.

DIY Route:

I found this this video which explains how to replace a bumper cover - seems simple enough that I could do it myself:
I tried searching for the bumper cover part online (I assumed Toyota would have the original part number listed somewhere easy to find,) but I had trouble identifying the original part number. I found a bunch of sites that seem to have non-original manufacturer parts (ie. third party replacement parts designed to mimic the original Toyota branded ones.) I don't know if those parts are just as good or not.

DIY Route Questions:

5) How to I identify the exact Toyota bumper cover part # I need? Once I have the right part number, should I be looking for the actual original Toyota part, or are third party replacements just as good? Where should I be looking to find what I need (online, specific stores, etc?)

6) What does 'part comes unprimed' mean? I've seen that several times when looking at bumper covers online. Does it have something to do with paint color?

7) How do I make sure that I'm getting a replacement that is the same color as my car? I don't see the parts places listing color, so I'm guessing that if I buy online the part comes unpainted (right?) If that's the case, how/where do I get it painted the proper color? Do I need to take it to the Toyota dealership? Seems like that might be expensive.

8) I'm still concerned about how I'm going to replace the yellow thing that holds the left back screw (again, see pictures here: Effed up my bumper - Album on Imgur) - it sits behind the metal. Any thoughts or advice? Will it be easy to remove and then re-attach the metal thing blocking that yellow piece? I feel comfortable with the bumper cover removal/reattachment, but that metal piece seems like it's more than a visual component.

9) Any other info that might be helpful? Are there any particular reasons I should not attempt to do this myself? Seems like it has the potential to save me a significant amount of money, or end up costing me even more and it'll end up not working out the way I thought.

Thanks again!

Old 01-18-2017, 02:56 PM

diy or panel shop to put the bumper back on

i can only answer one question

the cars exact color code is on the vin plate or other plate close by

an ebay seller sells
Rear Bumper Cover for 2007-2011 Toyota
pre -painted to your color code
....$219.00 says free shipping

Old 01-18-2017, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Are you going to replace the cover or a have a third party?

If your going have a professional repair the car. The shop will procure the bumper cover. Typically it is cheaper to buy a new cover then repair the old one.

A bumper can be primed or unprimed. It would need to be painted to match the car. The car has a sticker listing the paint color number. This number can be used to get the same color paint. This is done every day when repairing cars.

It may be possible to find a cover of the same color from a donor car. However repairs shops general don't have the time to do this. This would required searching for the bumper then getting it shipped. For painted covers check with auto salvage yards.

If repairing the car yourself, the unprimed cover will need painting. If doing this yourself you will need a spray gun.

A third party shop would cost less the a dealer for repairs. Find a paint and body shop. Perhaps your dads mechanic can recommend one.

Typical and as shown in your photos. If the cover is pulled off. The attach points pull out from the screws. The screws and their attaching to the car should be OK. The pulled out yellow screw would be removed. The attaching point on the chassis if metal could welded or hammered back into the shape of a hole.

One issue is the damage extends beyond the bumper cover to the metal on the car. To match the new paint on the this area. A much larger area needs to be painted or the new paint will not blend with the old. Paint can fad with exposure to light.

Guessing the bumper only job is around $1500. Not sure about the metal damage.

Take the car to a few collision repairs shops. They are well versed in providing quotes.

A good repair shop can make the repairs look as good as new.

Are you planning on keeping the car, selling the car? Does it matter how good the repair is?