Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   Class action suits? (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/class-action-suits-51731/)

2003nightmare 07-25-2017 02:39 PM

Class action suits?

I had a huge problem with my 2003 Toyota Camry in regards to the stripped head bolts causing a blown head gasket at 135,246 miles. (guess I am one of the lucky ones?!) I Tried to have it fixed and nothing worked, I ended up paying ridiculous amount of money to have a REmanufactured engine installed. Sounded like a good solution, but I bought it from Engine World out in Houston Texas, they promised to deliver an engine with the inherent head bolt problem corrected and also the engine would be completely remanufactured back to zero miles status.
Turns out they sent out a used engine! :mad: Would not stand behind the so called warranty. That engine also seized with a blown head gasket after only 2,000 put on the "REmanufactured" engine.
I am wondering if anyone knows of a class action suit against Toyota that I can join or Engine World of Houston Texas. Please be warned NOT to do business with those people without first reading the YELP feedback ratings and checking the BBB rating for Houston Texas. It's and "F" rating. :(

toyomoho 07-25-2017 11:07 PM

There appears to be nothing in the works for the head bolt issue. Toyota did issue a TSB covering the repair process.

What did you try to fix the old engine?

2003nightmare 07-26-2017 12:48 PM

in reply to your question

Initially, My mechanic advised we try Blue Devil engine sealant to buy me some time. But, It did not work for my engine, apparently it has worked for many other people. It started to over heat intermittently so I took it to someone else to replace the thermostat, thinking the sealant had clogged it. But it still overheated intermittently, until one day the radiator blew open after a friend ran it at higher rpm trying to diagnosis after installing a new temp gauge. Then had the radiator replaced, new hoses, thermostat, gas cap. Was told it was not over heating at idle, but some unusual readings were showing up in cylinder 2. So I drove it home and it overheated and seized up on me. Towed it back to that repair shop and it was determined that I needed a used or rebuilt engine. I should have walked away at that point! But wanted my car fixed so I went ahead and had the "REmanufactured" engine put in, and got scammed by the seller of that engine. I have since sold the car to a mechanic who plans to put an eninge in it. All I can say is GOOD LUCK with a used engine on this one after all the complaints I have read!
I only became aware of the Toyota TBS after all of this! I wish anyone of us had known about it. :( I am interested in knowing exatly what is that "fix" from Toyota and what is the success rate on it?

toyomoho 07-26-2017 02:56 PM

Research TSB-0015-11

The "fix" began outside of Toyota by frustrated owners. Time-Sert seems the best route although Helicoils have been used.

If the repair is done correctly, the fix is 100%.

There are lengthy threads on the subject at this site and others.

2003nightmare 07-26-2017 05:11 PM

well I am not a mechanic and don't understand what either of those terms mean. LOL
What is the ball park estimate of that repair your referring to in California? I do appreciate you giving this info, at least I can have an understanding of what would have been a better course of action for me. However, None of the 3 mechanics I went to had this info. I found it out from a state board of automotive repairs representative, that Toyota actually put out an "enhancement" manuel on this particular problem. Like I said it's all ancient history at this point. But other people reading this maybe helped.

toyomoho 07-27-2017 11:12 AM

The engine block is aluminum and with this the head bolt threads. These threads fail and the head gasket follows.

The "fix" is to drill out the damaged threads and replace them with a steel threaded insert.

A shop might charge $900-1500.

DIY is around $300-400. One can buy a kit containing all that is needed to repair the threads.

This engine was used in Toyota products starting approx 2001. The head bolt thread failure happening on some engines when they reach approx 60K miles. It was replaced by the 2AR-FE around 2010.

The net is flush with threads on the head bolt thread failure issue.

If having a effected engine (model 2AZ-FE). Note this engine also can suffer from excess engine oil burning due to a piston design problem.

Toyota is offering to repair the engine if it meets specific criteria listed in a Technical Service Bulletin.

2003nightmare 07-27-2017 12:31 PM

Thank you for the detailed replies. This really clears things up for me. I guess none of my mechanics knew about this "fix" I certainly would have opted for this approach had it been presented to me! I am most certain Toyota would have rejected my request though, as it was a salvaged title. But, I did get 135,246 miles out of it before the head gasket blew! After what I have read I feel like one of the "lucky" ones in the bunch, because mine never did burn oil like so many others AND did not have the acceleration problem ...... Live and learn!