New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Confused

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 05:39 PM
Default Confused

i'm new to the forum, i have a 1993 toyota camry xle v6 with 190.000 this car acts up at times, what i mean by that is it has a rough idle, a loud smell of gas coming out of the exhaust, it has at times shut off while i'm at a complete stop, but once i get to riding down the road some it starts to ride like it should with no problems or smell of gas, iv changed the distrubitor, wires,pcm,spark plugs iv'e changed all 6 injectors,and the car still acts up inconsistantly, for the life of me i can't seem to find out the problem, the check engine light doesn't come on when the car acts up, so its hard to get a diagnostic reading on it. Does someone have similar issues, or know what's going on with my camry.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Is the idle the only time the engine is rough?

Is the gas smell only at idle or does it continue if the RPM is increased.

Does the rough condition/gas smell occur when engine warmed up, cold, etc?

Old 03-13-2019, 06:13 PM
Default Confused

The rough idle really happens on the start up, that's how i can tell its going to act up on me. The gas smells comes about at the same time as well, and continues to smell until it starts to run like it should. It doesn't do it every time, so it's hard to pinpoint what's going on. I'll ride until it happens again, no check engine light comes on.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Check fuel pressure regulator.

ETC sensor.

Could an injector be leaking down as the car sits?

The engine fuel system is not directly monitored. Only through 02 sensor for exhaust.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:04 PM
Default Confused

Ok. Thanks for the possibilities that could be causing my problems. I will have those possible issues looked at, and hopefully my problem will be solved, thanks once again.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:06 PM

The fuel pressure regulator seems to be working properly, but it seems now that the weather has gotten warmer the misfire comes more often, and the gasoline smell is still present whether there is a misfire, rough idle or not. The gas smell doesn't come out of the exhaust all the time now, but it's present when your at idle. I/m just not sure. I don't want to give up so easily, but it's beginning to be a real bother for me. Can you think of anything else that could be going on?