Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   Cooling Fans (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/cooling-fans-51574/)

Nezjj 04-07-2017 09:58 PM

Cooling Fans

New Member I would like to know how long does it take for the cooling fan to kick on. I have 2005 Camry 4 Cylinder, I just got done replacing both radiator hoses. I just drain the fluid from the radiator. ran the car for about 10 min then went out to drive it pull back into the garage and the fan did not kick on, the temp gage look normal. :confused: please help
thank you.
Nezjj

dirty hands 04-08-2017 05:52 AM

2005 Camry
without a thermometer to check your coolants temp
would say fan kick in will be over 1/2 way and before 3/4s hot

from my repair manual
2005 uses a cooling fan relay and ECT
a thermostatic activation sensor(location lower part of radiator )

thermostat valve opening temperature.
Valve opening temperature: 80 to 84C (176 to 183F)

CHECK COOLING FAN
(a) Disconnect the cooling fan connector.
(b) Connect battery and ammeter to the cooling fan connector.
(c) Check that the cooling fan rotates smoothly, and check the reading on the ammeter.
Standard amperage: 8.0 to 12.0 A at 20C (68F)

HINT:
The cooling fan may rotate when the ignition switch is turned from ACC to ON. This is normal.
1. CHECK COOLING FAN OPERATION WITH LOW TEMPERATURE (Below 83C (181F))
(a) Turn the ignition switch ON.
(b) Check that the cooling fan stops.
If not, check the cooling fan relay and ECT switches, and check for disconnected connectors or wire breaks between the cooling fan relay and ECT switches.

Nezjj 04-08-2017 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by dirty hands (Post 95290)
2005 Camry
without a thermometer to check your coolants temp
would say fan kick in will be over 1/2 way and before 3/4s hot

from my repair manual
2005 uses a cooling fan relay and ECT
a thermostatic activation sensor(location lower part of radiator )

thermostat valve opening temperature.
Valve opening temperature: 80 to 84C (176 to 183F)

CHECK COOLING FAN
(a) Disconnect the cooling fan connector.
(b) Connect battery and ammeter to the cooling fan connector.
(c) Check that the cooling fan rotates smoothly, and check the reading on the ammeter.
Standard amperage: 8.0 to 12.0 A at 20C (68F)

HINT:
The cooling fan may rotate when the ignition switch is turned from ACC to ON. This is normal.
1. CHECK COOLING FAN OPERATION WITH LOW TEMPERATURE (Below 83C (181F))
(a) Turn the ignition switch ON.
(b) Check that the cooling fan stops.
If not, check the cooling fan relay and ECT switches, and check for disconnected connectors or wire breaks between the cooling fan relay and ECT switches.

@ Dirty Hands thanks for the feed back I will get back you with any new information strange thing is the car was running fine all day before I decided to replaced the upper/lower radiator hoses.

Nezjj 04-09-2017 10:22 PM

Hey Dirty Hands it turn out to be the thermostat. The first symptom was the leak coming from the lower radiator hose.the second symptom was the engine fan not working. The thermostat is located on the lower side of the hose normally the thermostat is where the upper radiator hoses is, I think what happened was when the pressure was building up antifreeze started leaking from the lower hose because the thermostat did not open so the antifreeze was not circulating through the unit and did not warm up to the proper temperature which cause the coolant temperature sensor to work correctly which case the fan to fail. That's my thought on the issued. Hope this helps someone else .
Nezjj.

dirty hands 04-10-2017 05:21 AM

yes that finding... is good feed back

your 05 camry should be right to get through the summer