New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

CRAPPY MPG

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Default CRAPPY MPG

I have a 97 camry le with 150000 miles but yet it is getting about 17MPG. it just started doing this about two weeks ago. i have a header kit and an intake but i have had those for about 2 months now and no problem. i dont understand wat it is. there is no leaks and my car isn't running rich. if you guy have sujestions please respond. im 16 and that is **** for a 4CYL expecially that i dont ahve a good paying job.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-02-2008, 11:37 PM
Default RE: CRAPPY MPG

sucks for you bro
i'm getting more out of my 6 cyl
have you tried changing air filter fuel filter and having proper tire inflation?

Old 10-03-2008, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

What was the MPG before it got worse? Any change in fuel used such as now having 10% ethanol?

Old 10-03-2008, 11:51 PM

mpg was about 20 before. which is still crap but better than what it is getting now. so far i did a run through and checked everything. i put the stock intake back on and that seemed to help a lot. i believe it was just running rich from too much air flow. but now i checked to see how my coolant was doing and it is BROWN. i think i have either a oil leak into the coolant or it just really needs to get flushed. It could be a leak cause the last time i did my oil change there was a lot of sludge. which is the probly the worst part about that engine. i can deal with the valve cover being silicone on with no bolts and everything else but when a car has as much sludge as mine did that is just bad design.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Brown coolant can be just worn out coolant. Is there an oil sheen on top of the coolant?

Sludge as in oil sludge buildup in the valve train?

On the headers, is the O2 or A/F sensor installed and if so in the right location?

How are the rest of the components such as plugs, air filter, etc.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:41 PM

ya I went and talked to my teacher in AST(automotive service technology) and im bringing in my car sometime this week. ya but oil sludge in my oil pan. when we undid the bolt there where a lot of chunks coming out. there is a factory o2 bug on the headers. it is back to normal but i need to get my raidiator flushed.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Make sure the oil pump screen is clean. Sludge engines have been known to lose complete oil pressure due to plugged screen and oil passages.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:21 PM

it started doing it again. i was doing a mpg test and at 1/4 tank i was getting about 23. no im about half and i got almost have. i drove 110 miles at 1/4 but i only have about 170 at half. i dont know wat it going on. it could be another hose that is cracked or came off but im starting to get mad.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Might check the throttle body for carbon buildup and other debris.

Check ign wires and coolant temp sensor used by the computer.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:02 PM

throttle body is fine but i was wondering if single ground copper spark plugs will work even though it says on the timing belt cover to only use platinum dual ground plugs?
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: CRAPPY MPG