New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Details on the infamous sludge issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:39 PM
Default Details on the infamous sludge issue

Hello all. I've been looking into purchasing a 97-01 gen 4 cyl camry for a month or so now. I recently discovered that the great sludge problem covers just about all engines and models during this era, whereas I'd previously though it was just 6 cyls. Info on the web is a bit conflicting. Even consumer reports isn't very clear on what a used buyer could expect. Any input? My goal was to purchase a lower mileage specimen and keep it until it hits about 200k, but I obviously don't want to encounter major engine or tranny work during that period of time. Also, did Toyota use interference engines during this generation?

Old 01-30-2011, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

The engines were supposed to be non-interference until variable valve train was introduced or a timing chain used.

Sludge was an issue that received lots of bad PR. A class action lawsuit resulted in government mandated fixes and extended warranties for certain model/engines/years. Any extended warranties have expired by now.

For Camry the years were 97-01 for the 4 cylinder and 97-02 for the V6.

Sludge issues may have effected a few thousand engines, Toyota built millions of these engines the vast majority not having a sludge issue.

Sludge was due to issues as extended oil change periods, not changing the oil, engines having hot spots that raised the oil temp to the break down point and no doubt some issues were never fully explained by Toyota or anyone else.

If you are concerned about sludge, ask about maintenance records for oil changes. To check the engine remove a valve cover and look for signs of sludge. If present, it will be obvious. The internet may have photos of what sludge looks like.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:24 AM

Thanks so much for providing us the detailed information about Toyota camry.Its so helpful.