Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   Faulty immobiliser (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/faulty-immobiliser-51600/)

duncanmactaggart@gmail.com 05-01-2017 01:15 PM

Faulty immobiliser

Please help. I have a 1995 300sei. I can't get the immobiliser to deactivate. I've changed the batteries in the remote and the override in the luggage compartment doesn't work either. Does anyone know how to disable the entire system?

Thanks

toyomoho 05-02-2017 10:44 AM

300 SEI, is the car from SA.

Does the car have an immobilizer? Is there a "smart key."

Is there a blinking red light on the dash or an icon having a lock symbol?

Typically to reset the immobilizer, close hood/trunk and close/lock all doors. Then unlock the drivers door using the "smart key." You need a smart key.

duncanmactaggart@gmail.com 05-02-2017 03:08 PM

Hi Joey P
Yes the car is from SA
Yes it has a factory fitted immobiliser.
It does not have a 'smart key'. It has a remote which is used to open the car and disable the whole system when pressed.
Yes there is a red light in the middle of the speedometer that shows the system is armed.
I have a bypass 'key' which fits into a recepticle in the boot next to the right back speaker. This is supposed to disable the whole system when inserted into the recepticle but it does not do that.
Closing everything and unlocking does not disarm the system. The manual says the system can only be deactivated using the remote or the bypass key in the boot. Neither of these two options work. I'm suspecting the system is faulty and would like to disable it so that I can get it to a mechanic.

Thanks
DMacT

toyomoho 05-02-2017 04:07 PM

These alarm systems vary and can be difficult to figure out.

Try one or all of the following procedures:

Lock doors
Unlock and open either front door with the key
Insert ign key turn it to ON
Turn off any accessories
Wait approx 30 minutes until the security indicator stops flashing. Do not turn key.
After time period turn the key directly to start and try to start engine

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Insert key into ign
Turn key quickly from the "Run" position to the "Off" position five times
Turn key to the "Start" position and try to start engine

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Insert ign key
Look under dash left of steering console for a red button somewhere. Press it three times and then hold it in for 10 seconds.
Try to start engine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Insert ign key
Press red button under dash wheel so it is in the "out" position
Turn ign key to ACC.
Hold in red button
Turn key to ON
Try to start engine

duncanmactaggart@gmail.com 05-06-2017 12:05 AM

OK so I tried all of the above options.
There is no red button to be found.

The only one that gave a glimmer of hope was turning the key on and off quickly. The starter engages briefly (for less than half a second) and then it appers that the immobiliser cuts it out.

Is there no way of unplugging the system? Is there a control box located somewhere under the dashboard.

Cheers Duncan

toyomoho 05-06-2017 11:32 AM

Confused here?

The Toyota brand immobilizer allows the engine to turn over but not start. It cuts off the ign but not the start motor.

If turning the ign key is resulting in the engine not even turning over, the issue is something else. Some other kind of non-Toyota anti-theft system.

duncanmactaggart@gmail.com 05-06-2017 02:14 PM

I'm pretty sure the immobiliser is standard Toyota. This was how things worked before fault.

I would press the button on the remote. The drivers door would unlock.
The alarm would be disabled and the immobiliser would be disarmed for a short time. I would turn the key and the car would start.

If I didn't start the car in a short time then the immobiliser would engage again and I'd have to press the remote again before the car would start.

While the immobiliser is on the car would not turn over at all. The starter would not engage or turn.

There is a yellow warning light that would come on when the immobiliser is off, only if that light is on will the engine turn over and start.

So now pressing the remote does not do anything.

Really appreciate your assistance.

toyomoho 05-06-2017 06:58 PM

Look for a switch or push button in the area of drivers side kick panel. If the car has a pedal for the emergency brake look above the pedal.

If having said button or switch.

Press button and determine if the light goes out.

If a switch, move switch, turn ign switch on/off then move move switch back to original position.

Start looking under the dash and the hood for a small box that appears an aftermarket addition. Typically the wiring thickness and colors are not the same as the original wiring and the box is not well secured.