Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   Gas Mileage 2007 SE and brakes (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/gas-mileage-2007-se-brakes-4459/)

plsntnrules 09-19-2008 12:26 AM

Gas Mileage 2007 SE and brakes

Hi there;

Noobie here and this forum is a god send.
Kudos to the creator and everyone else that keep it up and running.

I just pruchased a 2007 Camry SE with about 9500 miles on it for $18,500 in northern california.
I have been a life long Honda addict and actually picked up this car at the Honda used car dealership if you can believe that.
Went in to get a late model accord and saw this silver beauty just gleaming away in the sunshine.
I liked the ride, the comfort and all the neat amenities.

Long story short its now sitting in my drive way.

Question I have is about gas mileage.
Are there any data or stats on what kind of gas mileage I should be getting on a 2007 SE?

I am at half a tank at the moment and have gone about 210 miles so far.
Is that good? Bad?

Also, since i park the car outside in the chilly NOrcal nights, when I take the car out in the morning, the brakes make a screeching sound the first couple of times I hit them and then they are fine.

I took the car to the dealership and had them inspect the brakes. They said other than a little dust they were fine and had no wear or tear on them. He also said that this was normal for the brakes to screech the first couple of times because the tire and the brakes are still cold and as long as they don't continuously make that sound I am good.

Is this true or was he just feeding me a bunch of baloney?

Thanks for any help.
I am sure I will be on here againto get my other questions answered.

cheers.

D

nodrogkam 09-19-2008 02:54 AM

RE: Gas Mileage 2007 SE and brakes

Welcome.
Hehe I've jumped ship to Honda. =P. I'm new to them.
So with your SE, you should be getting the same mileage as the 2009 model. Use the same EPA estimates. If you go online and find the 2007 estmate, it'll be higher than the 2008 or 2009. Reason being, they still used old measurement standards. Begining 2008, all cars are measured with new EPA and new measurements better reflect actual driving styles.
You're currently averaging near 22mpg if your report is correct. Assuming its a 4cyl, its good for city mileage, soso for highway.

No, the brakes shouldnt squeel. When the car/brakes have cooled down, try hosing off the wheels/brakes. If a lot of dust does come out, see if it helps reduce the noise. If the brakes etc. are original (which they should be for such a low mileage vehicle), they should make no noise, unless something has happend to them. If the squeels are very light in sound, then its some what normal, although none of our new or old toyotas ever made braking noises regardless of weather.

Just as a note, stick with OEM when you replace items. Less headaches and it just works better.

plsntnrules 09-19-2008 06:04 PM

Thanks for the quick resposne nodrogkam
I am going to take it to the dealer and tell him to fix the fricking brakes squeal.
This should still be covered under the 3 year/36,000 factory warranty, right?

nodrogkam 09-19-2008 09:00 PM

Wear and tear items are usually not covered. Unless they discover it was a manufacturing defect. Its worth a shot.