Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   gasoline smell (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/gasoline-smell-39819/)

XpPaul 12-07-2011 12:44 AM

gasoline smell

I have a 97 Camry 4 liter engine. The problem I have is that I smell gasoline. It is not specific to any one area of the car and can be quite strong or not at all. Sometimes it seems more by the filler pipe area and other times it smell like it comes from the front or back of the car. I’ve twice searched underneath the car and cannot find a leak or smell anything. The car just passed inspection. I mostly smell it when the gas in the tank is between ½ and a ¼ filled and the humidity is higher than normal. The check engine indicator light is not on. I’ve replaced the charcoal canister purge value. The charcoal canister for this year is underneath the hood instead by the fuel tank. I’ve replaced most of the vacuum hoses on the charcoal canister. I’ve twice added the Prestone fuel system cleaner. It seems to help. Do you think it is the charcoal canister, something in the fuel tank or something else? Thanks.

toyomoho 12-07-2011 08:27 AM

Has the car been driven on salted roads resulting rust?

The filler pipe and filler pipe flange that bolts to the tank can rust through.

full house 12-08-2011 12:18 AM

It sometimes happen to me, I just ignore it and it will gone for after a while.

XpPaul 12-08-2011 07:41 PM

I checked it out by removing the cover, and I don't see anything significant; a little pitting in some areas. I'm grasping at straws but is it possible I got something bad gas in my tank. I read online about one man who found some diesel in his tank. How about a bad gasket on a fuel pump or regulator ?

XpPaul 12-08-2011 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by full house (Post 67956)
It sometimes happen to me, I just ignore it and it will gone for after a while.

what year is your car? My understanding is that the redesigned the fuel system in 1999 Camrys like moving the charcoal canister to the rear; mine is under the hood.

toyomoho 12-08-2011 08:54 PM

Toyota moved the canister.

Check the canister for cracks. It may have a vent on the bottom, check for signs of gas here.

Did you check all the EVAP fuel vapor lines? There is one EVAP line running from the tank to the EVAP system in the engine compartment.

The gasket on the pump access port seldom fails.

It does happen the fuel filler tube or flange on the tank rusts through. This area cannot be viewed through the access plate for the pump.

XpPaul 12-10-2011 12:29 AM

Thanks. You have given me some things to think about. I've looked underneath the car, but I can never track it down the smell. Is there a better way other then trying to sniff everything?

toyomoho 12-10-2011 01:05 PM

Don't know.

The fumes come from the fuel in the tank. They are drawn into the canister then when the valve between the engines intake manifold and can is opened draw into the engine.

Somewhere in the setup is an positive air leak in the fuel tank or EVAP system.

Try localizing or changing the tank/EVAP operating conditions.

Loosening the gas cap when driving will relieve air pressure differences. Determine if this effects the location of the smell. If a rusted through filler tube, etc. the smell may still be present but now more localized.

If the EVAP hose running from the tank to the canister is crimped off any fumes present must be from the tank area. If no longer any smell, then the problem area may be the EVAP system beyond where the hose was crimped off.

XpPaul 12-12-2011 12:35 AM

Thanks, those a good ideas.

Othercarzaharley 01-08-2012 09:39 PM

Don't overcomplicate the issue. Toyomoho is probably correct. It is probably a gasket between the filler tube and the top of the tank.