New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

HELLPPPP, EXPENSIVE REPAIR

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Default HELLPPPP, EXPENSIVE REPAIR

The water pump went wrong in my car and the car broke down, damaging the cylinder (thats what the mechanic said). I think is full of it and is too expensive (1500-1700). The me car is not drivable, so i had to bring it to this mechanic that is friend with a friend of mine, he said i need to replace:
I need to replace:
- The cylinder head gasket kit.
- Timing belt.
- Water pump.
I probably need another opinion, because the mechanic says that i need to change the cylinder head gasket because there is no compresion to start the car. -I dont know what that means-So, he need to work in the cylinder for over 10 hours...

Any help or advise to save money will be appreciated.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: HELLPPPP, EXPENSIVE REPAIR

Think of the engine as a compressor. The pistons moves up in the cylinders to compress the fuel/air mixture. When the spark plugs fires it ignites this compressed mixture and causes it to expand rapidly to push the piston down. The piston is connected to the crankshaft by a rod. This rod rotates the crankshaft. No compression means no power

The head gasket is the seal between the cylinders and the head. If it leaks the pressure during compression can not build up.

At the least, the engine will need a water pump and head gasket. The timing belt turns the water pump, it may have been damaged when the pump failed. It is recommended to replace the timing belt every 60-90K miles depending on the year of car. Since the engine will be apart it is easier to replace this part now.

If a 4 cylinder engine 7-8 hours it needed to change the gasket, add some time to change the pump and timing belt.

Once the head is off the cylinders can be inspected for damage.

Suggest if the head is removed to have it inspected for cracks and warpage due to overheating.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:05 PM

Do you recommend to expend 1500 and fix it all?

Old 01-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

If having the work done suggest replacing the belt and of course water pump.

Parts may be $150 -$200, the rest is labor. Parts price assumes the head is ok and it is just the gasket.

You might shop around, price it out based on a new built, head gasket and water pump replaceent.

Ask if this include resurfacing the head and checking for cracks.