New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

hey NEW MEMBER...94 CAMRY OVERHEATING

Old 12-27-2011, 08:40 PM
Default hey NEW MEMBER...94 CAMRY OVERHEATING

Engine has less then 5thousand miles....pretty much brand new engine in super good condition...but sat for a year drove about 25 -30 miles and over heated put anti freeze made it home then let idle and voer heated.....noticed fans were not on while engine was over heating while idling but only come on when heater is turned on.....any suggestions??? Good car super good condition just need to find this kink!

Old 12-28-2011, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

V6 or 4 cylinder engine?

Only overheating at engine idle?

Fans come on with AC operation?

Each engine model has a coolant temp sensor switch but location varies. If the coolant gets above say 199F the switch is supposed to operate and with this the fans turn on. If the fans work when the AC is turned, most likely the coolant switch is the problem.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:57 PM

White creamy substance thinking its a blown head gasket......drained oil and was creamy like milk chocolate with white swirls

4 cylinder 94

Old 12-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

If in a cold climate did the coolant system have enough antifreeze to prevent freezing and damage the engine?

If this was OK then would look into a bad head gasket or cracked head.

Don't operate the engine with the creamy color oil, coolant in the oil is very bad on engine bearings.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:58 PM

Ok thanx taking the head gasket off tomorrow mechanic said 1200 bucks lmao for a 33 dollar gasket and machining im just going to just do it myself gonna see if everything goes good will post a vid or pics of bad creamy oil ect......

Old 12-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

The job is involves a lot of labor hence the cost.

Make sure you keep track of all the valve train parts. The system uses shims for valve clearance. Take note of how the dots on the cam gears line up for later re-installation before you remove the cams.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:03 AM

is there a step by step on the net anywhere i can look at while doing this???? never took off more the the valve and top components my self.....

Old 12-29-2011, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Send a private message with email address for info.

In the mean time pickup a mark it anywhere pen, the kind the auto parts yards use to mark parts, some plastic sandwich bags for parts, labels that can be tied to parts, hoses, etc for ID and some small cardboard boxes to store larger parts.

With the head off this is a good time to inspect any parts under the engines timing cover and look behind the engine block for any leaking freeze plugs. Bad freeze plugs are uncommon but given the engine state for a year with questionable coolant some may have rusted through. Much easier to get out with the head off.

But first make sure it is a head gasket, run down any other possibilities no matter how remote.

Rockauto.com has a good selection of parts.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:40 PM

ok sending now and....would there be any other reason the oil is a milky???? before i get to pulling off the head off me n my buddy gonna do it... or is that the most common cause???? going to replace water pump also just because its 35 bucks

Old 12-29-2011, 12:40 PM

i really do appreciate the help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hey NEW MEMBER...94 CAMRY OVERHEATING