Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   Horsepower up my 99' V6 (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/horsepower-up-my-99-v6-828/)

sdeeut 09-22-2006 06:12 PM

Horsepower up my 99' V6

Hey all! I am now on my 2nd Camry. The first being a 98' LE 4 cyl. which was totalled last week by some lady in a new Sequoia when she decided making a left hand turn in front of me as I was entering the intersection. I guess it's hard to see a black car traveling 40mph in broad clear daylight with the sun behind her glaring off my car. I loved that car. There were two things I had always wished it had though, a V6 and a sunroof. I just bought a 99' LE/XLE V6 with sunroof and only 78K miles, so life is good again. Actually life is better now! I LOVE the smooth V6 and sweet shifting tranny. I had this car checked out mechanically from the dealership who said it is in excellent shape and the body and interior are immaculate with only 2 door dings on the entire car. It's black just like my last one and I just got the windows tinted so for the most part it looks exactly the same, except for the sweet little chrome V6 embled on the trunk lid. I pulled my chrome 17's w/ 235/45 tires off my 98' (at the junkyard) and those will go on next spring as our weather here has turned from summer to winter in the last week. So here is the real reason I'm posting if you haven't gotten sick of this post already and are still reading. I really wanted more horsepower in my 98' but was told by almost everyone it wasn't worth the amount of money I would spend for the minimal gains I would get. My only concern with that car was having the rear drum brakes and whether or not they would stop me in a high speed scenario.... they had a hard enough time with the standard power. But now I have the V6 and 4 wheel discs and I really want to bump up my power. I have called around and no one seems to know anyone who does a chip for my car and they all keep sounding the same, You'll spend alot of money for minimal gains. Is this really true? All I'm really hoping for is maybe 20 to 30 horses more. Is this achievable by adding a chip, adding an intake and a high flow muffler? I'm looking for someone with rock solid answers who can help me with what manufacturer works bests with my specific car and where I could get the best deal on them. I'm not looking for turbos or superchargers, I'm just looking for a good amount of added HP that might just give me an edge over other cars that are comparable in motor around the same year as mine. I know the 99' Accord puts out 200hp. The 99' lexus puts out 210hp using the same motor my car has. I understand they have different exhaust and computer settings, but shouldn't I be able to get higher than that without spending a ton of cash? I would appreciate someone letting me know either way. I will look around the sight to see what I can find out for myself, but if someone who knows all about Toyota Camry could answer these questions and save me alot of time looking, I would truly appreciate it. Oh, and with all that said, I would like to know that none of the upgrades would mess with sensors or start sending me check engine lights. If anyone can help, I would love to know what you know. If not, I'm glad to see so many people who love their Camry as much as I do. I have friends with S4 Audi's and M3 Beemers, and yes, they are fast as hell, but I really do love my simple, low maintenence cost Camry. I'm going to try and upload a photo of my 98', but this is my first time so I hope I don't screw it up.

lavalleemike 09-27-2006 04:20 PM

RE: Horsepower up my 99' V6

In the part about the lexus with more HP its not just the comp. and exhaust that make the difference its also, compression ratio and other things... a camry is tough to get large gains. and if your going to do mods go with trd. and they do make a super charger thats your best option.