Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   Issues with mechanic (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/issues-mechanic-52608/)

Mario Rossouw 12-02-2018 08:10 AM

Issues with mechanic

Good day to all

My first time posting here, I am from South Africa. I have a 1998 220sei Toyota Camry and have been having ISSUES with my transaxel. My transaxel died but my gearbox was running smooth. Sent it in for repairs, it's come back but now my first gear can't even pull my car but once it changes to second it goes fine but once it tries to go to third it starts to slip. Could this be a result of the transaxel breaking or did the mechanic pull a fast one and messed with it.

Any advice would be much appreciated
Thank you

toyomoho 12-03-2018 11:55 AM

Is this automatic trans with front wheel drive and a 4 cylinder engine?

Don't understand. The transaxle died but the gearbox was OK? What were the symptoms?

What are you stating is the transaxle? The transaxle is the complete transmission.

The transmission (transaxle) consists of two components inside one housing. One component does the gear shifting, the other (differential) powers the front wheels.

The differential has fixed gearing. If the differential is slipping the gears are bad and the slipping issue would occur in every gear.

The gear shifting portion of the trans can slip in certain gears but this is not normal. This is because each gear has its own clutch system (like a stick shift clutch but in this case is hydraulic). With wear these clutches can slip.

Make sure the trans fluid level is OK. Low fluid can cause slipping.

Take it back to the mechanic ASAP and complain. A slipping trans causes more wear which causes the slipping to get worse.

Mario Rossouw 12-03-2018 12:10 PM

s this automatic trans with front wheel drive and a 4 cylinder engine?

Yes it is the automatic with front wheel drive and 4 cylinder engine. The differential locked up because the mechanic did not fill any oil in there when installing the gearbox. Before the differential locked up the gears were working perfectly. Now that the differential is repaired and the gearbox is put back this problem with the gears arose. The mechanic said that the differential locking up could have caused the gears to malfunction. I'm just hoping to get some advice or confirmation that what they telling me is true.

toyomoho 12-03-2018 07:17 PM

Did the trans work OK prior to the mechanic doing whatever they did?

Did the differential lockup when the car was moving?

Its possible to replace the differential gears without taking the gear shifting portion of the trans apart. Did the mechanic replace the diff gears without taking the shift portion apart.

Mario Rossouw 12-04-2018 06:37 AM

Yes the car was moving when the differential locked up. The trans was working perfectly. The mechanic took my gearbox to fix my differential but put it back now the trans isn't working. I'm just afraid the mechanic messed with it cause finding a trust worthy mechanic in South Africa is very difficult. He says cause the differential locked up and that is y the trans is not working.

toyomoho 12-04-2018 01:59 PM

The gear box and differential are housed in the same unit which is the transaxle.

If both wheels are firmly in contact with the ground and the differential gears are slipping, there is a major problem with the differential.

Could the differential locking up cause gear box damage, don't know. However the differential locking up is no different then you locking up the front brakes (and axles). The torque converter will just slip and if not the engine will die.

Did the car come to sudden stop, the wheels lock up, etc. Or was the differential failure a slow process involving grinding gears then and then the car would not move. .

It's the mechanic's fault for not adding fluid to the differential. This caused the differential failure and who knows what else. The mechanic can't just tell you their responsibility ends at the differential even though this could have damaged the gearbox. Which is just what they are telling you now.

Mario Rossouw 12-04-2018 09:04 PM

Thank u for all the info this helps alot and really appreciated.

toyomoho 12-05-2018 10:43 AM

Keep us informed.