New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Just got my Camry hybrid and I've got a question

Old 01-11-2008, 01:35 AM
Default Just got my Camry hybrid and I've got a question

It's a great car. Love it. We wanted a hybrid and somebody recommended a Prius. Went to the Toyota dealer, sat in one and realized I could drive with no hands. My knees were on the steering wheel. The sales person suggested I try out the Camry hybrid. I fit it, it fits me, and I drove it home.

One question however (and I can't find the answer in the owners manual). The dashboard lights are really bright and just a little too bright when driving down dark streets. I looked for a dimmer and I can't find any such thing. The headlight switch itself is an arm on the steering wheel post and while it turns the lights on, there is no dimmer switch attached.

Is there a hidden trick to it or is that just the way they are.

Thanks,
Rob

Old 01-11-2008, 01:56 AM
Default RE: Just got my Camry hybrid and I've got a question

This may be a backwards way of finding out but, if no one knows the actual answer, go to a dealership that sells that car and pretend to be interested in it and get them to tell you how to dim the lights, then leave. Sorry, I wish I knew were the switch was, that is, if there is one.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:30 PM

I don't have a Hybrid but I do have a Camry 07 LE. On mine, to dim the gauges, if you look where the speedometer is, just below that you'll see a little post sticking out where if you hold it down/push it in it will resst your trip odometer. This stick also will cycle through your Trip A, Trip B and Odometer readings on your LCD screen. If you take this stick and twist/turn it left or right, it should adjust the brightness.

Hope that helps!

Seth

Old 01-11-2008, 12:44 PM

Here's a really bad pic I just did in Paint to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Sorry it's cheap, I'm at work and limited on what I can do. Hope it helps!

Name:  Hybridgauges1.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  21.9 KB

Old 01-11-2008, 03:34 PM

Seth,

That was it. Thank you. It seems that while Toyota engineers and build great cars, the art department is a little lax. There is a small icon by that post that, once you know you twist it to dim the panel lights, makes perfectly good sense. But before the fact, I'd have never guessed that that's what it meant.

Thanks again,
Rob