New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

My new camry

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Default My new camry

Help! I just bought a new 2008 Camry SE and I just filled the tank for the second time. In four days I literally saw the gauge go down to right above half a tank. Does it take a few tanks for the gas usage to level out or will this car be this awful on gas?? I traded my Mercury Mountaineer, Premiere package which I absolutely loved for this car to save money on gas. I sure hope I didn't make a mistake! I miss my big truck and it would make my life miserable if I wouldn't end up saving money on gas. Someone please advise. Thank you!

Old 02-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Default RE: My new camry

First thing 4 or 6cyl?? Second gas mpg is based on driving habits and conditions and other factors. More info is needed
[align=left] [/align]

Old 02-22-2008, 08:09 AM

I apologize.. My car is a 4 cylinder; I drive 12 miles one way to work on highway, 65 miles an hour. I don't do a lot of stop and go driving. My point was that I never noticed the gauge go down as obviously as this is going down. My husband is telling me that it takes awhile for the engine to get "broken in" with all the seals and stuff and that will affect the gas mileage. I told him I wanted to get another opinion and so here I am.

Thank you so much for your response!! Have a happy day! (I'm beginning to fall in love with my Camry... it's taking awhile because I miss my big chunky truck, but I absolutely love the smooth, luxurious ride of the Camry PLUS I love the fact that I feel like I'm in much more control of this vehicle. It may soon be time to give "her" a name??

Old 02-25-2008, 01:42 PM

I would say something is off, perhaps you weren't fully filled up?
I am by no means an expert in anyway, I have only done about 1500 miles on Camry's so far but that is strange.
My first experience was about 1300 miles on a V6 LE I had rented where I got about 30-34 mpg which I loved.
So much so that I just bought my new SE V6 10 days ago.
So I only have about 180 miles on it so far, but I go about 10 miles to work and back each day.
So almos the same as you, and I am still at half a tank.
I will say it started going towards half tank pretty fast, but it has stayed above and in the area for awhile now.
And you never know how much the dealership really filled it up.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:45 PM

Sorry didn't mean to hit enter lol.

What kind of mileage did you get on the first tank?
How many gallons did you put in on the last fill up?

If you are commuting that much with little stop and go and it sounds like all highway you should be getting at least as good as me; should be better actually since you have a 4 cyl.
Of course I am still on my first tank so it's hard for me to say but I can continue to post as I go on and we can compare numbers.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:56 PM

I have on my 07 Camry 7,000 miles V6 LE I average 23 MPG in combination driving

Rx Bruce

Old 02-26-2008, 06:38 AM

Hey! Thank you so much for replying. Very interestingly enough, I did notice that once it got to the 3/4 mark, it did take much longer for the gauge to drop. I drove back and forth to work 10 miles each way (highway), did some driving on Saturday and Sunday (shopping, church, out to eat, visiting my mom) and I used 3/4 of a tank. I just filled up again last night and it took 12 gallons. I'm thinking that's not too bad. I appreciate your offer to gauge this with me week by week. I will document the mileage and gas intake much better than I have been so we can make more precise comparisons. Thank you so much! I need to leave for work, but I will tell you how I got into my Camry.. I loved your story!! Enjoy your day!

Old 02-26-2008, 01:44 PM

One thing I will note, in case you are unaware..our Camry's have a 18.5 gallon gas tank.
So if you put in 12 gallons you really only put in 2/3, that's kind of splitting hairs between 3/4 but it does make a differance in you fuel economy.
I am now at about 220 miles on may car, not my tank my car lol, seems weird to say that.
I am still right at half tank, so let's keep posts going and we will figure this out sooner then youthink.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:25 PM

I appreciate your response! Since I filled my tank on Monday evening, I put 83 miles on the car and the gauge is right about 3/4. It just looks to me like this car isn't getting good gas mileage, but I agree that I have to just keep an eye on it, keep gauging it and see how it all comes out. Are you telling me you have 220 miles on your vehicle and you've only burned up a half a tank of gas? I think I'm a bit confused about that.

Also, when I put in 12 gallons the other night, that was after one week of driving on the first full tank of gas that was in the car when I picked it up at the dealership, so that would make the tank almost empty.

Happy driving!!

Old 02-28-2008, 04:26 PM

Well if you are at 3/4 after going 83 miles that comes out to 18 mpg if you were at that.
Right now I am at about 280 or so, going off memory from the drive in this morning.
And I am over 1/4 probably about 1/3 of a tank left.
So even if I was right at 1/3 and if they filled my tank up all the way I would be at about 22 mpg.

Which as I stated before something has to be up if you are getting worse mileage then me.

You don't happen to have a teenage childdo you? LOL you know sneaking out your car at night and changing the tripmeter.

Keep monitoring it and I will do the same.

Oh and don't be confused, I drove over 300 miles on a half a tank on the one I rented last October.
I was right around 318 when I filled it up, I actually thought the gas guage was broken because I had passed so many cars etc on the way to the resort.
Guy filled me up and it was right at 10 gallons. I was like wow over 31 mpg and fast to boot.
One of the reasons I have one now.
Course that entire 300 miles was all highway miles from start to finish.

Quick Reply: My new camry