Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   New camry owner with questions (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/new-camry-owner-questions-5299/)

952DRCamry 03-11-2009 06:48 PM

New camry owner with questions

I just bought a 95 camry 2dr 4cyl automatic. I think its an LE though the badges were removed and i dont know how to tell. It has leather, sunroof, pw/pl, am/fm cassette with optional in dash 3 disc cd changer. The rear speakers do not work for an unknown reason and iid like to know why, when its cold sometimes when i start it the steering wheel doesnt move easy for about 30 seconds or so, and i already replaced the driver side lower balljoint and sway bar link and bushing, but it still seems to have excessive roll on right turns, could that be the strut mount?

toyomoho 03-12-2009 12:54 PM

The LE was the more expensive model. If you have a sunroof you should have this model. Do not think this was an option on the cheaper model.

The rear speakers connect to the radio in the dash or remote amp (if the system has one).

Remote amp would be located in behind the passengers upper kick panel area or under the passengers seat.

You will need to check the wiring. Trust you attempted to adjust the front/rear knob on the radio.

Sometimes the PS does lock up when cold, not sure what this is. Perhaps the pump bypass valve is sticking.

You can try changing the PS fluid. Remove the fluid from the reservoir and refilling with new fluid. Repeat this between drives for a total of 4 times and the fluid should be clean. The PS system uses Dexron III transmission fluid, the same fluid as in the trans. This fluid is no longer available thus find its replacement. Ask the sales person and read the label on the bottle. Typically labeled ATF fluid.

Open the hood and find the shock towers. The upper part of the mount is visable.

Get the cars chassis oscillating and watch the upper part of the mount for excess movement. Compare to the other side.

When you release the chassis the oscillation should stop in less the 2 cycles. Compare left and right sides if one continues to oscillate longer perhaps the strut is bad.

When you replaced the ball joint did you check the lower arm joints for excess play?

Check the rear suspension.

Mister2 03-18-2009 07:52 PM

1995 Camry 2dr

Sound to me like you have a Camry SE. These were made from 92-96 and only as a 2 door, then discontinued and brought back in 2002 but only as a four door. How many miles are on the car? I recently replaced the four struts on a 1995 Camry LE with 159000 miles on her. The stereo unit itself could be the culprit and not the speakers. That generation Camry had some of the best OEM speakers of any Camry. You may want to check your power steering fluid or rack for the other problem :)

952DRCamry 03-19-2009 03:06 PM

isnt the SE standard with a v-6 though? it has 226,000 miles on it, it does need some struts which im doin the front ones next week, and when i got it i replaced the belts and the power steering belt was so loose i dont see how it was even turning, it was beyond normal belt stretch, it was like they didnt tighten it.

toyomoho 03-20-2009 08:10 AM

SE is Sport Edition. Has firmer suspension, quicker steering ratio, 4 speed option, trim package.

XLE has the V6 engine.

Mister2 03-20-2009 08:33 AM

95 2DR Camry

Originally Posted by 952DRCamry (Post 19923)
isnt the SE standard with a v-6 though? it has 226,000 miles on it, it does need some struts which im doin the front ones next week, and when i got it i replaced the belts and the power steering belt was so loose i dont see how it was even turning, it was beyond normal belt stretch, it was like they didnt tighten it.

The SE was the only two door Camry offered in 1992-1996. The standard engine was the 4cylinder and the optional was the V6. So, if you have a 2 door, you have an SE. Here's a link with the specs: http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...ta-camry-8.htm
You should replace all four struts then. You'll notice a world of difference in the handling. Just keep the oil changed every 3k miles and it will give you another 200k miles! I'm on my fifth Camry and wouldn't drive anything else. Any other questions you have please feel free to ask. If I don't know the answer I know where to get it. As I said, I sold them for 10 years and been driving Toyotas since 1981. Celica, Van, MR2, Camry (5), Corolla (2), tC (Camry engine):)

Mister2 03-20-2009 08:34 AM

SE Camry

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 19936)
SE is Sport Edition. Has firmer suspension, quicker steering ratio, 4 speed option, trim package.

XLE has the V6 engine.

All Camrys can be optioned with the V6 engine. Standard is the 4 cylinder. :)

motnamser 08-10-2014 10:40 PM

2002 Camry Suspension

I recently acquired a 2002 Camry with 70K miles on it. The suspension seems very mushy. I was thinking of replacing the struts. Anyone know if this would make a difference. Should I also change the springs at the same time?
Thanks