Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   NeW gUy wIth QuesTions (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/new-guy-questions-1142/)

Slick 01-14-2007 01:39 AM

NeW gUy wIth QuesTions

Hey there, my name is Rob, and I have a 1993 Camry LX which was given to me from my uncle.

The thing with the car is that it starts to vibrates around 60. Around next week I am taking it in to a shop to get the driver side wheel bearing replaced, but im not sure if it will help any,but its a start. Also my ABS light is on and I am wondering if that can make it vibrate? My dads 92 Celica GTS used to have the ABS light on and vibrated but he got it fixed and I guess the problem was that a ring was messed up and replaced the whole ABSring thingy, and the cars fine now. So I'm not sure if the camry have the same problem.

Also on my dash my light is on for my backlight, but the backlights work fine and I dont know why it does this.

If anyone can help, please do. Anything would be fine.

nodrogkam 01-14-2007 02:39 PM

RE: NeW gUy wIth QuesTions

welcome to the forums.

camry lx...do you mean DX? LX is typically a Honda and i think nissan thing. I could be wrong.

So the car vibrates. Typically getting tires balanced would solve issues of vibration - you could get your tires balanced.
You say the wheel bearing is getting replaced, wheel bearings can cause vibration as well - see what happens.
ABS light means an abs sensor/speed sensor isnt functioning properly, or there is some other furthur problems, such as an issue with the abs module itself.
Just to let you know, so long as that light is on, you do not have ABS, so under hard braking, especially in wet weather, you're tires will lock up and you will skid and have no ability to steer until you release the brake enough to let the wheels spin again.
From the celica experience, you probably know this is not a cheap part/repair (no matter what's really broken), but it could be to your benifit to get it repaired. - i would not link ABS to vibrations, unless it vibrates only while you're braking.

You also stated your rear tail light 'out' indicator is illuminated on your dash - does this light automatically turn on before you even start the car/hit the brakes/turn on your headlights? If it turns on after ignition before you've touched/turned on anything, that could indicate a sensor failure. typically the sesnsor only senses three lights (depending on your actual car) - High mount stop light, and the two main rear brake lights.
Sensor will activate if it's not getting resistance from any of the light ballasts/bulbs meaning they are either half blown or blown. - Half blown meaning, the bulbs with two fillaments inside of them (one of them is blown), either the main bright brake light or the dimmer headlight fillament. Take out all bulbs, double check them and re-insert them to see if it helps. Just the rear brake ones as the sensor wont sense front or turn signals.

Slick 01-14-2007 03:50 PM

Yea, I had mistaken, I mixed the LX up with the LE. I don't know how. But its an LE. The indicator is off when the car is started, but when i put the car in drive, the light then comes on. I'll be sure to check up on checking the lights out. Thanks for the help, I'll keep an update how it all turns out.

nodrogkam 01-15-2007 02:02 AM

well the light turns on when you put it in drive because you step on the brakes before putting it into gear (as required by the shift lock mechanism in your car), so that triggers the sensor. that tells me that one of your main bulbs is blown.

Slick 02-24-2007 11:19 AM

Ok, I havent posted in awhile cause the weather has been bad to work on the car, but finally did it. It was the driver side bearings that was making it vibrate. As for the tail light, I had just changed that and the indicator came off. YaY! All I gotta do is get my ABS fixed. Also I notice yesterday that when I take a turn the back wheels makes a weird sound. Sounds like a can rolling sorta. Hard to explain. I was wondering if anyone had a simlar problem and if you have howed you go about fixing it.

Thanks.

OnE_To_HatE 02-25-2007 10:58 AM

Cool..free car! 1st year maintenance on a used car is the worst but if you keep at it- it'll eventually get better and more reliable. As for the can sound; i have the same problem but in front- BUT it goes away in the warmer weather.. hahaha- soi didn't really care to get it checked out.