Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   New Here (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/new-here-52630/)

steve2011 12-23-2018 09:59 PM

New Here

Hey, I'm Steve. New to the site. I have a 2011 Camry SE 4cyl. My wife bought it brand new, now its mine since we got her a new car. Ive been driving it for over a year now and really just want to make it feel more like mine. Ive owned a couple of Toyotas in the past (1990 Camry and 2002 Celica). I think its a great looking car, and I plan to keep it till it dies, just getting a little bored with it still being 100% stock. I am not looking to do anything crazy, but would like to get a little more power out of the 4cyl. Dont really know what their potential is though. I drive it A LOT every day so I would like to keep decent MPGs as well. Any suggestions? I also plan on updating the sound system, rims, and a few other things here and there. Thanks in advance for any advice!

toyomoho 12-24-2018 11:51 AM

Welcome to CF.

As to wanting a little more engine power for Camry. t appears Toyota has already incorporated engine features to try to squeeze more HP per CC. The low cost mods don't really exist.

What your states smog testing requirements?

Headers are available. One can try a cold air intake but typically there is little if any HP difference. The ECU has been stated to be very difficult to tune.

There are high cost items such as cams, pistons, turbo.

Might visit a few Scion websites. The car can use the same engine but on more performance basis. Scion owners are always looking to increase HP.

Rims and tires are not a problem. Can match larger diameter rims/tires up thought to 22 inches with low profile tires. Check at Tirerack.com

As to sound systems, the starting place depends on your base unit. JBL, JBL with or without navigation, etc. Ebay typically has a good selection of third party units that can replace the stock system.

Might look at adding sound proofing to the floor and doors. This will make the stereo sound better as you can now hear all the notes.

Try carid.com to get some ideas on customizing, speakers, body parts, etc.

A lot of stuff out there, just not cheap engine mods to gain HP.

steve2011 12-24-2018 12:43 PM

Thanks for the detailed response! I know what I am doing when it comes to the sound system and rims etc. I have been looking all over and I did find headers, cat back exhaust, and intake. I just didnt know that was it. Not wanting to go the turbo route (at least not anytime soon). I will have to get those done and see where I am at! Thanks again!

longhaulbiker 01-07-2019 08:47 PM

I assume it is automatic. It will not sound good with a louder exhaust. Instead, make sure it is tuned up. Then put your efforts into the sound system. Consider XM if you are not using it. This is not an exciting car. As I age, I need less excitement. I just want reliability. That is the best thing about Camry's.