New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

New Member 1991 Camry DX-Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Exclamation New Member 1991 Camry DX-Help!

Hello Everyone!

I have visited your forum a few times in the past few years as I recently was given my 1991 Toyota Camry DX 4 Cylinder by a friend. It was sitting in his garage and he offered it to me because I just got my license and needed a car. It has been an amazing car these past few years, but it has had some issues, mainly electrical. It was stolen once and suffered a pretty bad thrashing inside the dash as they ripped out the stereo.

Unfortunately this has been causing issues ever since. I just recently had a new stereo installed and this has caused a whole host of new issues and it is currently not running. The electrical issues run deep, as they so often do in cars, and I am trying to get my baby back on the road. It seems that after a battery, then alternator, then starter issue, all signs point to no voltage getting to the starter, or at least not enough to start the car (only 2V getting to it). The fuse box that attaches to the positive battery terminal seems to be bad and I need a new one. I don't know the exact name or part number and what I'm searching the internet with is giving me zero results. I'm fairly confident that this part will solve my issues and trips to the junkyard have revealed that this part is repeatedly cut off from all the Camrys in the place! How frustrating it is I cannot tell you!

If anyone has any information on this part please, please, please contact me! I will be looking around the site for any related information, but if anyone who happens to see this can point me in any direction that may be helpful I will be forever grateful! I will definitely be keeping up with you all as you discuss your Camrys. I love mine too! My fingers are crossed that someone here can help me. If I can't get my car running soon I'm going to have to get rid of it and I really, really don't want to do that. Not only do I love my car and it still passes smog! It still has a lot of good life in her!

Best,

Brandi

Old 04-15-2013, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have some kind of service manual with wiring diagram?

The first fuse box off the positive battery terminal appears to have two fusible links. These are basically metal strips inside a small case that burn through if the current rating of the link is exceeded. These strips can corrode to the point of having poor electrical conductivity or the case connections to the fuse holder containing the strip can corrode. Or maybe a link has really blown.

The fusible link might look like those in the link below:

Bussmann® W0133-1640191 - Toyota Camry 1984 Fusible Link

The flat link pins of the fuse are often fastened to the wiring with small screws that are accessed from the back side of the fuse box. As such they may not just pull out from the front.

Unbolt the complete fuse box from the chassis. Then examine the connections of the fuse body pins to the wiring plus the metal fuses inside the fuse holder for corrosion. Disconnect battery first.

If you can not find a replacement box at salvage yard try to rework the one you have. Remove the fuses and check them for continuity. Clean all wiring connections of corrosion, etc. If the fusible links are bad Toyota or autoparts stores should sell them.